Shimano's Fully Machined BFS Masterpiece

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:43 pm

Introduction: When it comes to bait finesse system (BFS) options, low profile reels seem to get all the love. Compared to the likes of the Pixy, Aldebaran BFS, Brenious, Alphas SV, T3 Air, among others, those who enjoy the fully machined precision of a round reels have had few alternatives. The Conquest 50/51S was simply a shallow spooled version of the 2000 Conquest 50/51 - not a reel truly tuned to be fished with finesse baits, and the Cardiff 50/51DC was actually intended for trout. Of course, a reel does not know for which species it is being fished, but in this world of technique and species specific tackle, we enthusiasts are allowed to knit pick. The tides have finally shifted in 2017 with Shimano Japan's introduction of today's subject, the Calcutta Conquest BFS.

Complete Article: http://tackletour.com/reviewshim17conquestbfshg.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano's Fully Machined BFS Masterpiece

Post by goldrod » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:34 am

Thanks for the review. I have an old conquest 50 and had a new version conquest 100 but sold it. I have been eyeing this reel for a while and must say that all my questions were answered in the article. 5lb test line isn’t something that i have every purchased and i can’t imagine what catching a fish on such light line feels like but just the fact that a round reel is tuned for bfs makes this a cool reel to own.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:27 am

It is a very fine piece of machinery and very close to being retired for posterity :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:42 pm

I'm surprised you didn't mention the clicky drag.....
I've found it to be a spectacular feature. You can really dial in how much pressure your putting on light line by the feel.

The sound isn't all that important but you can feel the detents on the drag as you wind against the drag. Which is an incredibly tactile way to determine if your gaining or not.
Something I never thought of before but once i experienced it. It was eye opening!

Every reel should have that feature. I could be silent for all i care. But feeling it is huge

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:20 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:I'm surprised you didn't mention the clicky drag.....
I've found it to be a spectacular feature. You can really dial in how much pressure your putting on light line by the feel.

The sound isn't all that important but you can feel the detents on the drag as you wind against the drag. Which is an incredibly tactile way to determine if your gaining or not.
Something I never thought of before but once i experienced it. It was eye opening!

Every reel should have that feature. I could be silent for all i care. But feeling it is huge
Agreed, I would do all my casting reels that way if possible.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:36 pm

I have been on the fence about one ever since they came out, that review is not helping me resist. Also not helping is that I think I have found the perfect 1/16-1/8oz inline spinner rod, a legend inshore 66xlm, and I now find that I do need a salt-safe reel for it. The reel will be way way overkill for perch fishing, but it would be cheaper (I think) then my current plan of buying a Conquest 50 and having it BFS tuned. Which is also overkill, but the word is not ready for a sub-$400 salt safe bfs reel I guess ;)

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:14 pm

Houndfish wrote:Which is also overkill, but the word is not ready for a sub-$400 salt safe bfs reel I guess ;)
It is on sale right now at JapanTackle for $368 ;)
Cal, Managing Editor

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:05 am

Cal wrote:
Houndfish wrote:Which is also overkill, but the word is not ready for a sub-$400 salt safe bfs reel I guess ;)
It is on sale right now at JapanTackle for $368 ;)
Oh man, my "tackle I absolutely need" list is long enough as it is.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:25 am

Cal wrote:It is a very fine piece of machinery and very close to being retired for posterity :lol:
“Say what”, is the reel being discontinued?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:38 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Cal wrote:It is a very fine piece of machinery and very close to being retired for posterity :lol:
“Say what”, is the reel being discontinued?
Speaking from the perspective of my collection of reels...
Cal, Managing Editor

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:08 pm

That shallow spool is perfect for ice fishing application. When will Shimano come over to the freeze side? :big grin:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish