[kroe-nark] : Casting Reel ... 1. must have

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:36 pm

Introduction: If given the choice of just one, low profile baitcasting reel within Shimano's vast lineup to fish, my choice would be rather simple. For me, it's always been about the Chronarch. This product line has forever (well almost forever, let's forget B and E for the moment) defined that fine line between workhorse and flagship, and for me, has served as a litmus test as to whether or not Shimano's R&D department is on their game. Just the same, to say I had high expectations of the Chronarch MGL would be a little off the mark. I didn't expect the this reel to do well. I knew it would. Was this confidence in Shimano warranted? Let's find out.

Complete Article: http://tackletour.com/reviewshimchronmgl.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: [kroe-nark] : Casting Reel ... 1. must have

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:58 pm

A review already? Did shimano give you a prototype?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:25 am

Bootytrain wrote:A review already? Did shimano give you a prototype?
Nope... we don't write full reviews on prototypes. If they had sent us one, it would have been a preview or insight article. I sourced my first one from JapanTackle.com ... second one was from TackleWarehouse.com 8-)
Cal, Managing Editor

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:29 am

Cal wrote:
Nope... we don't write full reviews on prototypes. If they had sent us one, it would have been a preview or insight article. I sourced my first one from JapanTackle.com ... second one was from TackleWarehouse.com 8-)
Dang, Cal. Nice review & nice turnaround time!

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:45 am

Cal wrote:
So you did your review in 2 weeks?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:47 am

Bootytrain wrote: So you did your review in 2 weeks?
You can get a lot done in a short period of time when the fish are biting.
Cal, Managing Editor

Bassfan22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassfan22 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:17 am

So many quality reels this year. I want them all! I already own the Metanium MGL but I guess I'm buying this one also. I'm going to be so broke this year. Great review!

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:10 pm

Bootytrain wrote:
Cal wrote:
So you did your review in 2 weeks?
Shimano seems to be getting some extra love from TT lately.
Seeing this review so soon, while Daiwa zillion sv tws, Tat CT, steez sv Tws and the SV103(which has already came & went) still haven't gotten a review :-k

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:38 pm

I read the review hours after it posted, great review. Just wondered about the lower end of the casting range. TT had a nice write up on lower weight baits in the Zillion TWS vs Chronarch Ci4+ test... Was really hoping to see what the light weight casting abilities of the MGL, and how easily the brakes make it during those weights. Either way, keep up the great reviews.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:21 am

spookybaits wrote: Shimano seems to be getting some extra love from TT lately.
Seeing this review so soon, while Daiwa zillion sv tws, Tat CT, steez sv Tws and the SV103(which has already came & went) still haven't gotten a review :-k
Daiwa no longer sends TT reels for free, while Shimano still do. Factors a lot into whether they can review something or not.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:22 am

IAY wrote:Daiwa no longer sends TT reels for free, while Shimano still do. Factors a lot into whether they can review something or not.
Shimano will usually send us something if we ask. However, we did not ask them to send the Chronarch MGL.

I've asked Daiwa to send a Zillion SV TWS, but received no response, so if and when we write it up, we'll have to purchase it on our own. I like Daiwa's SV reels, but the Zillion SV TWS does not intrigue me enough to purchase it at this moment.

I'm pretty sure Zander purchased one or two of those other reels mentioned and has them in the works.
Cal, Managing Editor

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:24 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:I read the review hours after it posted, great review. Just wondered about the lower end of the casting range. TT had a nice write up on lower weight baits in the Zillion TWS vs Chronarch Ci4+ test... Was really hoping to see what the light weight casting abilities of the MGL, and how easily the brakes make it during those weights. Either way, keep up the great reviews.
Should at least be the same if not slightly better.. the MGL spool is a gram lighter than the CI4 spool

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:28 pm

Cal wrote:
IAY wrote:Daiwa no longer sends TT reels for free, while Shimano still do. Factors a lot into whether they can review something or not.
Shimano will usually send us something if we ask. However, we did not ask them to send the Chronarch MGL.

I've asked Daiwa to send a Zillion SV TWS, but received no response, so if and when we write it up, we'll have to purchase it on our own. I like Daiwa's SV reels, but the Zillion SV TWS does not intrigue me enough to purchase it at this moment.

I'm pretty sure Zander purchased one or two of those other reels mentioned and has them in the works.
Well, for next year, I can send you guys some Daiwa reels. I cant use my reels from mid November (on a warm year) until about the third week in April.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing