Fishing Drones Have Arrived: The Ludicrous PowerRay, a Fishing Drone that Uses Sonar and 4K Video to Catch Fish

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Fishing Drones Have Arrived: The Ludicrous PowerRay, a Fishing Drone that Uses Sonar and 4K Video to Catch Fish

Post by zodiak311 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:35 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
zodiak311 wrote:Bottom line. How much? I would use something like this to explore underwater structure vs catching fish.
Exactly. I would NEVER use it to present a lure, but it would be awesome to use it to explore structure or get awesome video of fish in their natural environment. That really depends on the quality of the video it takes and how easy it is to control.

I could see In-shore/Near-shore guides having a lot of use for this. Would be useful for them to show their clients live video of the wreck they are fishing etc.

DaveJ
Exactly, let be honest, presenting a lure right in front of a fish doesn't guarantee it will bite. I think that function is a little silly.

I would only buy this to use for filming and exploration purposes. How many of us have ever wondered while fishing, "I wonder what it is like down there," or "if I could just check what this entire lake looks like without water in it..."
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Fishing Drones Have Arrived: The Ludicrous PowerRay, a Fishing Drone that Uses Sonar and 4K Video to Catch Fish

Post by spookybaits » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:53 am

mark poulson wrote:
Zander wrote:When I saw this at the show the first thing I thought was exactly what I repeated in the video "can you really call this fishing?" There is no doubt that drones are going to become more prevalent in the water too but it was interesting that PowerVision decided to target anglers specifically. Not sure how many anglers will be interested in having a drone so embedded in the "fishing" experience, and I think a lot of anglers get out into nature as a way to disconnect from their daily lives and tech, so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
I know some of my fishing/duck hunter buddies who will have one word for those drones....Pull! [-X
The only scenario I could see myself using this in is ice fishing.
That would be pretty cool to send it down under the ice and run it around the lake.
I guess using it for exploring underwater structures, in just the camera operation... Eh. I'm sure some tournament fishermen will use it. I wouldn't.

But I'm against drones in general for hunting (and now fishing).
I'm with mark's buddies- if I see one, i'm gonna fill it full of #4 & cut it down.

reznor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reznor » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:29 am

If you need that to catch fish buy a playstation .Fishing is not for you

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:32 am

reznor wrote:If you need that to catch fish buy a playstation .Fishing is not for you
The Truth!

Jibaro
Angler
Angler

Post by Jibaro » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:25 am

reznor wrote:If you need that to catch fish buy a playstation .Fishing is not for you
I'm glad you said playstation and not xbox :lol:

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:58 am

It's like SI on steroids. The potential to explore underwater is amazing. I wouldnt use it to actually fish with, but to be able to go down and actually scout the environment the fish are living in is extremely beneficial. No different that snorkeling or diving and doing the same, although you dont have to get wet. Curiosity alone would make me want to get one to get a "fish eyes" view of whats down there. I'm already planning on getting scuba certified to do the same, this maybe cheaper...and much dryer :lol:
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:04 am

Teal101 wrote:It's like SI on steroids. The potential to explore underwater is amazing. I wouldnt use it to actually fish with, but to be able to go down and actually scout the environment the fish are living in is extremely beneficial. No different that snorkeling or diving and doing the same, although you dont have to get wet. Curiosity alone would make me want to get one to get a "fish eyes" view of whats down there. I'm already planning on getting scuba certified to do the same, this maybe cheaper...and much dryer :lol:
I concur. However, my wallet will not I'm afraid.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:23 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Teal101 wrote:It's like SI on steroids. The potential to explore underwater is amazing. I wouldnt use it to actually fish with, but to be able to go down and actually scout the environment the fish are living in is extremely beneficial. No different that snorkeling or diving and doing the same, although you dont have to get wet. Curiosity alone would make me want to get one to get a "fish eyes" view of whats down there. I'm already planning on getting scuba certified to do the same, this maybe cheaper...and much dryer :lol:
I figure its cheaper than diving gear, although the girlfriend is already certified and outfitted so I'm going to get drug into diving one way or another :lol:
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:47 pm

Teal101 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
I figure its cheaper than diving gear, although the girlfriend is already certified and outfitted so I'm going to get drug into diving one way or another :lol:
It would sure be a whole lot warmer than diving!