Shimano Japan's New Gateway JDM Reel

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:40 pm

Introduction: Shimano has been on a tear of late introducing new, budget friendly reels like the $99.99 Caenan and $79.99 Caius. When I first heard about the new Casitas, I confused it with the discontinued Castaic thinking this new reel was a reintroduction model of the former flipping reel. It wasn't until Zander had his USDM model out on a few trips before it clicked in my head that this was an entirely new model inserted between the Citica and Caenan.

Imagine my additional confusion when Jun Sonoda from JapanTackle.com contacted me to discuss the JDM version of this same reel, the Casitas MGL. The "MGL" designation escaped me for a moment and I simply assumed this was part of Shimano's effort to globalize their product line. Then I realized in true JDM fashion, that Shimano Japan tweaked this Casitas by giving it a higher performing spool. So does this more budget friendly reel perform like a true JDM counterpart? Let's find out!

Complete Article: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimcasitasmgl.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

New JDM Casitas reel review

Post by mark poulson » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:49 pm

I just read Cal's review of the new JDM Casitas reel, and it sounds like a winner.
I was struck with how having a light spool is so key for throwing light baits, even more so that a million bearings.
I guess that's why I still love my Chronarch MG 50's. Only five bearings, but it throws light stuff great!
One of the reasons I bought several Quantum EXO 100 reels, after reading Cal's review, was that it came with an 11 gram spool stock, and, while it's not a true finesse baitcaster, it will out cast any 100 reel I own, plus it only weighs 6 oz+-.
As for a smooth retrieve, I do wish I had handles with bearings for my MG 50's. They make a silk purse out of any sow's ear reel!
So now I'm jonesing for a MG 50 handle with bearings. :lol: :lol: :lol:

alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Shimano Japan's New Gateway JDM Reel

Post by alafly » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:10 am

Nice review Cal!!!

So JDM Casitas MGL actually has x-ship(bearing on both side of pinion gears) and have 5+1 bearing(same as curado 70/71) comparing our poor NA version Casitas 4+1 bearing without x-ship and mgl?
x-ship.png
x-ship.png (76.32 KiB) Viewed 4144 times
Thanks in advance.
"North" of America...

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:23 am

alafly wrote:Nice review Cal!!!

So JDM Casitas MGL actually has x-ship(bearing on both side of pinion gears) and have 5+1 bearing(same as curado 70/71) comparing our poor NA version Casitas 4+1 bearing without x-ship and mgl?

Thanks in advance.
Japan Tackle and Shimano JP have the Casitas MGL at 4+1

Cal: ... " A nice little feature we found while disassembling the reel was an extra bearing around the base of the pinion gear along with the usual one under the cast control cap. From our understanding, this extra bearing is the primary benefit of Shimano's X-Ship, but for some reason, this reel is not branded with that feature."

Something tells me that the USDM is set up the same way. I'm sure someone will open one up soon enough to confirm either way ...

alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by alafly » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:05 am

But I don't have confidence we will have this 2016 Casitas MGL version(100size) in NA.

We only have 150 size Casitas here in NA.
jpd0144 wrote:
alafly wrote:Nice review Cal!!!

Thanks in advance.
Japan Tackle and Shimano JP have the Casitas MGL at 4+1

Cal: ... " A nice little feature we found while disassembling the reel was an extra bearing around the base of the pinion gear along with the usual one under the cast control cap. From our understanding, this extra bearing is the primary benefit of Shimano's X-Ship, but for some reason, this reel is not branded with that feature."

Something tells me that the USDM is set up the same way. I'm sure someone will open one up soon enough to confirm either way ...
"North" of America...