Abu Garcia's Ring Leader, the Villain 2

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:18 pm

Introduction: Abu Garcia has worked hard in recent years delivering stylish, high performing fishing rods at value prices. Today, we take a look at a series of rods from this manufacturer that sits near the top of their product offering. Reintroduced at ICAST 2015, Villain 2 features a blank made from 40 ton graphite all in a rod for only $199! Here's our review of the Villain 2 VC70-6.

Complete Article: http://tackletour.com/reviewabuvillaincasting.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Abu Garcia's Ring Leader, the Villain 2

Post by LowRange » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:53 am

The ACS seat seems like an odd choice for an Abu rod. I have found that the discomfort some feel with the ACS seat is caused by reels with large main gears. As the middle finger tries to nestle into its grove on the seat the tip of the finger encounters the crank case before the rest of the finger touches the seat, causing it to hover over the seat awkwardly. The natural response to this is to shift the finger back so that a tip is in contact with the crank case at a lower point. Unfortunately doing this causes the fingers to become cramped and the raised section of the reel seat pressed between them.

With my small crank case reels (Daiwas) the ACS seat fith like a glove but on large crank case reels it's a no go. Given the enormous size of the main gear on the Abu reels its odd to see them use the ACS seat on this rod.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:05 pm

I've been eyeing these rods for awhile now, looks like it's time to buy seeing the great review, especially at its price point

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:23 am

LowRange wrote:The ACS seat seems like an odd choice for an Abu rod. I have found that the discomfort some feel with the ACS seat is caused by reels with large main gears. As the middle finger tries to nestle into its grove on the seat the tip of the finger encounters the crank case before the rest of the finger touches the seat, causing it to hover over the seat awkwardly. The natural response to this is to shift the finger back so that a tip is in contact with the crank case at a lower point. Unfortunately doing this causes the fingers to become cramped and the raised section of the reel seat pressed between them.

With my small crank case reels (Daiwas) the ACS seat fith like a glove but on large crank case reels it's a no go. Given the enormous size of the main gear on the Abu reels its odd to see them use the ACS seat on this rod.
The new reel seat is light years beyond more comfortable than the original. It's a nice rod series of rods.