Daiwa Japan's SS SV : A Steez in Disguise?

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:36 am

Introduction: If there is one thing Daiwa, and especially Daiwa Japan does well, it's produce tackle worthy of our enthusiasm at the high end. Maybe not everyone appreciates the performance aspects of some of their high end product - case in point the Steez 103H/L - but when it comes to this segment of the market, Daiwa seldom disappoints.

Complete Article: http://tackletour.com/reviewdaiwasssv.html

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Japan's SS SV : A Steez in Disguise?

Post by Bootytrain » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:26 am

Great review and right on the money

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:15 am

Nice review.

You say that the new USDM Steez is a JDM SS plus a few bearings? How did you determine this? The Steez has clicking cast control knob, more bearings, And different nose peice. Are the internals of the new Steez SS or based on the Steez SV and Limited reels from Japan.

If the internals are the same as the SS, do you not feel Daiwa dropped the ball big time since the SS can be found new from online JDM retailers for less than $250.00 and the SV Steez can be found new for the same cost as the USDM version.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:22 am

Enjoyed the review, does this mean if I want Steez SV like my older Steez, I have to buy JDM or just buy SV spools?

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:57 am

BigG wrote:Enjoyed the review, does this mean if I want Steez SV like my older Steez, I have to buy JDM or just buy SV spools?
Both the Steez (original and EX) and the SS share the same spool along with the TD-Z (except 100M and Fuego).

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:51 pm

JWR075 wrote:
BigG wrote:Enjoyed the review, does this mean if I want Steez SV like my older Steez, I have to buy JDM or just buy SV spools?
Both the Steez (original and EX) and the SS share the same spool along with the TD-Z (except 100M and Fuego).
My question was worded badly. Let's try this: Is the new USDM Steez a EX with Zaion side plates and SV spool, or is it a SS SV with 4 more bearings.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:20 pm

BigG wrote:
JWR075 wrote:
My question was worded badly. Let's try this: Is the new USDM Steez a EX with Zaion side plates and SV spool, or is it a SS SV with 4 more bearings.
That is the $400.00 question. It depends mostly on the internals. But given the outward appearance I think it is a hybrid version of the JDM Limited versions of the Steez and the original JDM SV Steez (nose peice, bearing count, clicking cast control knob) instead of the SS (different nose peice, lower bearing count, non-clicking cast control knob (except SS Air)).

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:25 pm

You guys got too much time on your hands to worry about this. Buy and try....

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:13 pm

cndbasshunter wrote:You guys got too much time on your hands to worry about this. Buy and try....
Why would anyone but a U.S. Steez if it is nothing but a SS with a few more bearings for $400.00 when one could buy a JDM SS for $250.00? Then a person would only need to upgrade the handle with a Steez EX (which is roughly $65.00) and they would have less in an upgraded SS than the U.S. Steez (if it is really just an SS with more bearings).

Seems some have been told the new Steez for the U.S. has a multiple stack drag which is different from the SS.

Aaronb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Aaronb » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:13 pm

cndbasshunter wrote:You guys got too much time on your hands to worry about this. Buy and try....
The same could be said for the Zillion TWS. It seems like there's a lot of negative comments from people that haven't used one though. They should buy and try.

I'm looking forward to when I can get a new Steez SV plus a SS SV to try out.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:04 pm

I took my SS SV out to throw normal sized lures 1/4 and up. Was throwing top waters and I was sorely disappointed with the distance I was getting. Any attempt to turn down the brakes resulted in backlash. I hope the inductor isn't stuck.