Introducing Sunline's New P-Ion Assassin FC

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:45 pm

Introduction: Line manufacturers continually seek to out do one another with what they refer to as the latest and greatest in technological achievements. Nevermind that the majority of the world's fishing lines, like a lot of our products, are made in a handful of factories worldwide. But several years ago, Sunline managed to align themselves with the proprietors of one new technology: A professor at the University of Tokyo Institute of Technology found a way to use plasma, the 4th state of matter, to alter both nylon and fluorocarbon materials in a way that enhances their performance as a fishing line.

Complete Article: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewsunlineassassinfc.html

Ham Solo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Introducing Sunline's New P-Ion Assassin FC

Post by Ham Solo » Fri May 01, 2015 12:04 am

Interesting. I may have to check the new P-Ion out.

Another great review! Thanks, guys! =D>

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Fri May 01, 2015 4:54 am

Interested to read that you thought that cloudiness FC develops with use is due to sunlight. I always assumed it was the line developing micro fractures as a result of stretching or abrasion.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Mon May 04, 2015 1:04 pm

So where do you put it in terms of Sniper and Shooter? Is it any different to warrant making a change? It didn't really seem to offer much of a different take, or an upgrade on either line...

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Farnorth » Mon May 04, 2015 10:30 pm

BucketHunter wrote:So where do you put it in terms of Sniper and Shooter? Is it any different to warrant making a change? It didn't really seem to offer much of a different take, or an upgrade on either line...
I think part of whats supposed to appeal about it is the price. It looks to be about 30% less expensive than sniper and 1/4 the cost of shooter.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Tue May 05, 2015 12:28 am

If they use graduated pricing like the other lines, you get another 25 yards for about the same price. That's only 12.5% less than Sniper. Add to that (unless you are using as leader material) the wastage on the back end of any filler spool and it really doesn't amount to much. I can't see anyone who decides to use Shooter for it's obvious strengths and accompanying drawbacks decide to move to P-Ion based on price, when it essentially appears to be Sniper-ish.
You can still put 100 yards on 2 reels with Sniper. Being able to 112 yards on 2 reels really doesn't change anything. It seems to be a solution to a problem that no one had.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Tue May 05, 2015 12:57 am

"knot strength worked out to be about 51% of the line's rated strength"

So once a knot is tied this 12# rated line only holds to 6#
Will different knots make this perform better?

My 8# Nanofil tied to a 4/0 hook with a Uni knot can just pick up a 12# anchor.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue May 05, 2015 1:43 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:Will different knots make this perform better?
Yes. The knot test we run is for comparative analysis - same knot with each line so we're comparing apples to apples and it's just a simple overhand knot to test where a line is most vulnerable - when it crosses over itself in a knot.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Tue May 05, 2015 4:11 am

Cal,

I also enjoyed the review. Will we see an update in the coming months? What I'm most curious as a dock fisherman is how this line compares in the real world against shooter and structure on abrasion resistance. You mentioned less than stellar results in the lab but high remarks on the water.

I may have missed it but is this process going to be applied to all the lines eventually or is it going to be its own series?

Btw I'd like to see a head to head test of structure vs shooter. I'm playing with structure as a pitching/heavy cover line right now.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue May 05, 2015 4:43 pm

5bites wrote:I may have missed it but is this process going to be applied to all the lines eventually or is it going to be its own series?
The Assassin FC review is the approach we will be taking for all line reviews in the near future.