Product Insight : Zillion TWS a.k.a. Tatula Z?

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:21 am

Introduction: Though the Daiwa Zillion TWS scored well in our official review, something about the reel did not sit right with me - literally. After my very first cast with that reel, from the first moment I wrapped my hand around it, I experienced a sense of deja vu. Thing is, it wasn't TD Zillion deja vu, it was something else. Something I didn't want to believe or admit to. The thought that popped into my head the first time I palmed the TD Zillion in a fishing situation was "Tatula".

Complete Article: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewinsight ... ontws.html

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Product Insight : Zillion TWS a.k.a. Tatula Z?

Post by Bootytrain » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:32 am

Great article and insight!

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:44 am

sad

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:48 am

Yet some people report that the ztw palms better than the tatr how can that be???

proatheart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by proatheart » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:59 am

and yet I can bet there will still be people who will read this article and buy the zillion even though it was said that the casting distance wasn't easily discernible.... id save some money and buy the tatula myself. however im still a fan of Lew's reels.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:07 pm

Ive always said the "free floating spool" sounds great in theory, but gives no on the water tangible improvement in performance.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:18 pm

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:Yet some people report that the ztw palms better than the tatr how can that be???
Placebo effect...

DaveJ

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:24 pm

Cal wrote:Product Insight : Zillion TWS a.k.a. Tatula Z?

Introduction: Though the Daiwa Zillion TWS scored well in our official review, something about the reel did not sit right with me - literally. After my very first cast with that reel, from the first moment I wrapped my hand around it, I experienced a sense of deja vu. Thing is, it wasn't TD Zillion deja vu, it was something else. Something I didn't want to believe or admit to. The thought that popped into my head the first time I palmed the TD Zillion in a fishing situation was "Tatula".

Complete Article: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewinsight ... ontws.html
"The Zillion TWS is supposed to be a new platform - different from the TD Zillion and different from the Tatula. Of course, the Zillion TWS and Tatula share the same line guide system, but that's supposed to be where the similarities end."

Did Daiwa ever actually say that or was it just assumed because of a different name?

The bigger problem Daiwa has is that they basically proved that the floating spool design is really just marketing and has little to no real world benefit.

Did you guys happen to measure the sizes of the bearings under the cast control caps that support the handle side outer part of the pinion or spool shafts?

DaveJ

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:20 pm

Ouch.
Hopefully Daiwa can correct their mistake (IMO) with the Zillion sooner rather than later.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:31 pm

I generally look at the reviews here for pictures...I mean....cmon...how do you not have a proper size torx to open a reel :)..this was imho your best to date. No pulling of any punches.....while not torn down to frame showed all the guts. And stated made the statement that the zill is just an overpriced tat.

This does not bode well for usdm zillion sales......But at 250 for a jdm it may be worth it.

Thank you...i was going to buy a few...now it looks like Met DC's are in my future.

jonnimunki
Angler
Angler

Post by jonnimunki » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:55 pm

Really great article! So does this mean that with a relatively cheap gear change we can fit a standard tatula with 9,1:1 zillion gears?

Boondock
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Boondock » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:11 pm

Well done! Great read, lame the zillion isn't what it used to be.

Seemed like shimano was falling behind for a bit, they sure have stepped it up with Daiwa making some interesting moves (money saving).

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:18 pm

Guess that's all I needed to make the alphas the only new daiwa worth considering. I also had some initial interest in the ss but I will pass on that as well.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:36 pm

A few years ago I asked if there was a change at Daiwa, a "buy out" or something. Something beyond the logo change. With the movement of manufacturing from Japan to Thailand and "Red" China, it has been confirmed. As it inevitiably does, the bean counters have taken the company from the engineers in lab coats.
There is nothing wrong with profit. That's what companies are supposed to do. Sacrificing innovation for the bottom line? Well, can rollerball be far behind?

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:39 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
The bigger problem Daiwa has is that they basically proved that the floating spool design is really just marketing and has little to no real world benefit.

DaveJ
Yes, it was a big mistake on Daiwa's part to create reel variations that permit direct comparison.

Great job, Cal!