Daiwa Re-Images Their Stalwart : Zillion TWS

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal »

Introduction: To understand the popularity of Daiwa's Zillion baitcasting reels is to know this aluminum favorite is essentially an aluminum version of Daiwa's former flagship reel, the vaunted TDZ. The TDZ sat atop Daiwa's low profile baitcasing lineup for about ten years; was arguably the reason for Daiwa's ascension into the upper echelon of the bass fishing market; and as such was celebrated in Japan with a handful of variants before the manufacturer eventually allowed it to evolve into the Steez.

Complete Article: http://tackletour.com/reviewdaiwazilliontws.html
joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa Re-Images Their Stalwart : Zillion TWS

Post by joekaz »

The 5.5:1 Zillion is not available in a lefty. The JDM version comes in a left hander though.
bigturtle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigturtle »

You were able to cast lures down to 1/4 oz with the Tatula and Tatula Type R, yet unable to with the Zillion?
I thought the free floating spool and lighter spool weight would allow for this.
BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG »

Since this is a 3 part review and you mention mounting reel on one of your 2 Destructions, I'm looking forward to the on the water comparison. I haven't decided if I will purchase the Zillon TWS yet, but have bought some MB Zillons and am looking to purchasing a J Dream or two. Maybe you review will help.
trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Cal's review of the TWS Zillion confirmed what we feared:

Post by trent_s »

Daiwa fumbled the redesign of one of their most iconic reels. ](*,)

Wish I had a collection of them on a shelf...funds being what they are, I may have to be happy with my two Zillions...

Surely I can find an excuse to buy one more :-k
IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 »

bigturtle wrote:You were able to cast lures down to 1/4 oz with the Tatula and Tatula Type R, yet unable to with the Zillion?
I thought the free floating spool and lighter spool weight would allow for this.
Lighter weight overall, but does it have lighter spinning weight. The axle really doesn't count unless it is rubbing on the pinion gear our something else.

It is entirely possible that Daiwa intentionally made it worse at throwing light stuff. The Zillion line has never been about finesse. They probably can't make a spool that excels at throwing larger baits for long distances and light weight baits well too, it is just physics.

If you want finesse this isn't the reel for you.

DaveJ
Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Cal's review of the TWS Zillion confirmed what we feared

Post by Markanthony404 »

trent_s wrote:Daiwa fumbled the redesign of one of their most iconic reels. ](*,)

Wish I had a collection of them on a shelf...funds being what they are, I may have to be happy with my two Zillions...

That's a shame Daiwa has cheapened one of their best line of reels. I am currently still in the market for 2 - 3 high-end bait casting reels. I might have to just go back to Shimano. I would rather purchase $300 reel that's made in Japan over something made in China. [-(
lurer
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by lurer »

Markanthony404, the new zillion is made in thailand if I am not wrong.
trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s »

lurer wrote:Markanthony404, the new zillion is made in thailand if I am not wrong.
Either way it's a major downgrade...especially given the $300 price tag. But the bigger deal to me is major downgrade in ergonomics and smoothness, two marks the old Zillion built it's reputation on.
Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 »

lurer wrote:Markanthony404, the new zillion is made in thailand if I am not wrong.

My bad, my balisic is made in china. I agree with trent_s, it's still a downgrade.
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler »

Im with you guys. Knowing that it is basically a glorified Tat really makes me wonder why. Did they not learn from the E/G issues from Shimano? Sacrificing palmability and crispness for some stupid levelwind system? SMH.
taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 »

The problem with the new Zillion is that it is basically a Tatula Type R squared...for 100 more (retail) it doesn't add much to making a better reel (vs. the tatula).
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi »

I feel the review was a bit skewed. He kept comparing it to the TDZ. Yeah, they do share the zillion name but they are completely different reels. I think it would have got a better score if it was called something else.
IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY »

Markanthony404 wrote:
trent_s wrote:Daiwa fumbled the redesign of one of their most iconic reels. ](*,)

That's a shame Daiwa has cheapened one of their best line of reels. I am currently still in the market for 2 - 3 high-end bait casting reels. I might have to just go back to Shimano. I would rather purchase $300 reel that's made in Japan over something made in China. [-(
Why does this matter. I know Apple/Megabass have production in China. I will 100% still buy them since they are excellent products.
Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 »

ccass wrote:I feel the review was a bit skewed. He kept comparing it to the TDZ. Yeah, they do share the zillion name but they are completely different reels. I think it would have got a better score if it was called something else.
He only mentioned the TDZ in the first paragraph, the rest is comparison to the TD Zillion which is the Zillion we all know and love. In fact, his TDZ comparisons were to the old Zillion and not the new one.

It didnt actually score too low. The Chronarch CI4+ barely scored higher and got the editors choice. The problem we have is that this is not a different reel, this is Daiwas remake of the Zillion. If you're going to replace a legendary lineup like the Zillion, the replacement better be damn good. It's the same thing that happened with the Curado E/G fiasco.

Guess I'll stick to buying up old TDZ's :mrgreen: