Don't be Fooled, Here's the Deal on Shimano's Exsence DC !!

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:01 am

Introduction: When the lifecycle of Shimano's Chronarch D was unexpectedly cut short, fans of this reel scrambled to purchase the last remaining pieces. To this day, the Chronarch D is a highly sought after reel for its refinement and excellent casting performance. While the reel is technically still available with a magnesium frame and known as the Core, not all consumers are fans of magnesium framed reels for their limitations to freshwater environments and considerable increase in cost.

Complete Article: http://tackletour.com/reviewshimanoexsencedc.html

HellaBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Don't be Fooled, Here's the Deal on Shimano's Exsence DC

Post by HellaBass » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:38 am

Seems like it would be an awesome froggin reel!

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:39 am

That was an entertaining review lol... Especially the part about the April fools prank =D> I'm surprised the spool on Cals reel was so heavy, mine weighed in at 17 grams. The reel is a monster nonetheless.. Might have to pick up a couple more before its discontinued.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:07 am

HellaBass wrote:Seems like it would be an awesome froggin reel!
Absolutely, almost as if it was built for it.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:18 am

Great review TT, been waiting to see this one. But given that it's basically a chronarch D + dc, it was pretty easy to figure it'd get high marks. :D

I don't really care if it comes to the states or not, I just hope this isn't a 'one & done' reel.

And as much as I prefer aluminum frame reels, I'd jump all over a magnesium version, for topwater & jerkbaits. And come to think of it... A mg version would make a great jig/plastics reel...

Scorpio
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Scorpio » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:08 am

Nice review. The only characteristic that I noticed is that the reel isn't all that special with lighter weight lures, but excels at 1/2 ounce and up...your mileage may vary.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:19 am

spookybaits wrote:Great review TT, been waiting to see this one. But given that it's basically a chronarch D + dc, it was pretty easy to figure it'd get high marks. :D

I don't really care if it comes to the states or not, I just hope this isn't a 'one & done' reel.

And as much as I prefer aluminum frame reels, I'd jump all over a magnesium version, for topwater & jerkbaits. And come to think of it... A mg version would make a great jig/plastics reel...
I'm not a Shimano guy (yet), but if this reel shares the same frame as the Chronarch D 100 and Core 100, couldn't you technically take the palm-side plate with DC and spool from this reel and put it on a Core 100 and have the best of both worlds? Or, are they not quite the same and therefore won't fit?

DaveJ

Fishingelbow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishingelbow » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:57 am

The review is silent :roll: on the subject of DC-whining. Is the reel silent too?

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:41 am

Fishingelbow wrote:The review is silent :roll: on the subject of DC-whining. Is the reel silent too?
Nah, it makes the excellent DC whine, if that is what you are asking. The review also points out it has a clicking drag...this is artificial, but awfully fun. Too bad it doesn't happen much when I fish single hook plastics on LMB.

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:46 am

Scorpio wrote:Nice review. The only characteristic that I noticed is that the reel isn't all that special with lighter weight lures, but excels at 1/2 ounce and up...your mileage may vary.
Yeah, I agree with this but I may be biased as I use it for Ikas mostly. I didn't have a problem with 4 inch worms, though. Depends what rod it's on, etc. It definitely isn't a finesse reel but I think it's an outstanding general purpose reel. Not sure of much better values out there.

Great skipping reel for those of us who aren't great at it.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:16 pm

WoodT wrote:
Scorpio wrote:Nice review. The only characteristic that I noticed is that the reel isn't all that special with lighter weight lures, but excels at 1/2 ounce and up...your mileage may vary.
Yeah, I agree with this but I may be biased as I use it for Ikas mostly. I didn't have a problem with 4 inch worms, though. Depends what rod it's on, etc. It definitely isn't a finesse reel but I think it's an outstanding general purpose reel. Not sure of much better values out there.

What setting do you for skipping? Max?

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:47 pm

Bootytrain wrote:
WoodT wrote:

What setting do you for skipping? Max?
Depending on how lazy I am, I generally set it to SP and relatively tight cast control. I am not an expert skipper and I fish from a deep V so I am at a slightly higher angle and have less room to skip it than I am when I fish off of a bass boat, so I don't go nuts with it...you can still get some overrun regardless of the DC and the SP mode with a bad skip. How about you and others?

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:35 am

I love them and I really home they release then with different gear ratios

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:56 am

It truly is a awesome reel. A real bomber with the same DC whine we have come to know and love. Played with one for an afternoon and it is an excellent reel for the money. Threw 4 inch senkos with a 1/16 ounce weight as far as any reel I own with no sign of a backlash. Even when forcing a cast, the reel is more than mild-mannered, it's downright easy going. :lol:

Buy one, buy it now!!!!!! You will not regret it.

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:35 pm

I liked the end of the article when Shim USA seemed to be surprised by the reaction of enthusiastic fish folk.
Kinda like the butterfly effect...one little review in a pond and a bay on the other side of the world in jan 2013 led to this :D .
Makes every paragraph worth writing!