Login to view all forums

Daiwa Tatula Type R - Worth the Upgrade?

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal »

Introduction: Earlier this year, Daiwa teased their ICAST 2013 introduction with a series of short tease videos broadcast on youTube. Simultaneously, they shipped us what we came to find out was a very late model prototype of that very reel, the Tatula, for a full blown review. Then, when all the hype was lifted, we find out at ICAST that there are two versions of this reel, the regular Tatula and the "tuned" Type R.

Complete Article: http://tackletour.com/reviewdaiwatattyper.html
Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Tatula Type R - Worth the Upgrade?

Post by Afrayedknot »

Nice review, but one thing.
88ms3 wrote:How do u know that is in grams, the picture doesn't indicate what unit is being measured. that is 10.4 in dwt units. I just measured my type r spool and got 0.57 ounces. Changed the units to dwt and u get 10.4 dwt. It's 16.1 grams not 10.

Don't want anyone to be misinformed.
The units were wrong in that picture, and the spool is actually somewhere around 16.1 grams which would explain the miniscule difference in performance.

Also, do you think that you will be reviewing the tatula rod soon after all the hype about it?

Thanks
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal »

Afrayedknot wrote:Nice review, but one thing.
88ms3 wrote:How do u know that is in grams, the picture doesn't indicate what unit is being measured. that is 10.4 in dwt units. I just measured my type r spool and got 0.57 ounces. Changed the units to dwt and u get 10.4 dwt. It's 16.1 grams not 10.

The units were wrong in that picture, and the spool is actually somewhere around 16.1 grams which would explain the miniscule difference in performance.

Also, do you think that you will be reviewing the tatula rod soon after all the hype about it?

Thanks
Yup someone pointed that out in another thread, thanks. We'll get it corrected shortly... 16.17 grams ;)

The Tatula Rod review is done and awaiting publication :whistle:
Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot »

Cal wrote:
Afrayedknot wrote:Nice review, but one thing.

Thanks
Yup someone pointed that out in another thread, thanks. We'll get it corrected shortly... 16.17 grams ;)

The Tatula Rod review is done and awaiting publication :whistle:
Looking forward to that review :D =P~.

Will the slight change in spool weight (since it is now known that it is only 2 or 3 grams lighter, rather than 8-9 grams) cost the tatula type r even more points in the price category or another perhaps?
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal »

Afrayedknot wrote: Will the slight change in spool weight (since it is now known that it is only 2 or 3 grams lighter, rather than 8-9 grams) cost the tatula type r even more points in the price category or another perhaps?
Doesn't affect the score because we didn't score based on the spools weight, but the reel's performance.
tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay »

I think the difference in drag measurement is due to the difference in design between the two reels. The Tatula uses a spring/nut that screws on the drive shaft beneath the drag star. The Type R doesn't use this same spring system, but a series of washers that fit into/under the clicking mechanism. I think it makes it easier to fully lock it down, since the spring isn't putting excess pressure on the drag star. The Zaion drag star is another small upgrade over the standard Tatula. I don't know if it's worth $50 for the few features, but with all the sales we've had the last month and a half...the Type R was worth it for me. I do have a couple standard Tatula's that I upgraded the bearings. I think that may be a cheaper alternative to achieve similar or better performance.

Thanks for the review TT!
Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot »

tywithay wrote:I think the difference in drag measurement is due to the difference in design between the two reels. The Tatula uses a spring/nut that screws on the drive shaft beneath the drag star. The Type R doesn't use this same spring system, but a series of washers that fit into/under the clicking mechanism. I think it makes it easier to fully lock it down, since the spring isn't putting excess pressure on the drag star. The Zaion drag star is another small upgrade over the standard Tatula. I don't know if it's worth $50 for the few features, but with all the sales we've had the last month and a half...the Type R was worth it for me. I do have a couple standard Tatula's that I upgraded the bearings. I think that may be a cheaper alternative to achieve similar or better performance.

Thanks for the review TT!
X2
tonyex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tonyex »

Very good review some pointed out some interesting things. Anyway I surely will go with the R, if I needed one of those.
Now, TT , its time to produce a review of the Exsence. :)

//T
gunther
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gunther »

hey
I'm wondering why this type "R" is mention to be "great"?
for that reel that money and don't worth the upgrade what is so great about it?
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal »

gunther wrote:hey
I'm wondering why this type "R" is mention to be "great"?
for that reel that money and don't worth the upgrade what is so great about it?
The performance rating between the Type R and standard Tatula are identical. The only difference in their detailed scoring is in the price. The downgrade in price was not enough to drop the overall score to below 8.0.
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal »

tonyex wrote:Now, TT , its time to produce a review of the Exsence. :)
Brought one of those home with me from Japan.. it's in the works ;)
BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC »

Another thing tatula's only have one bearing on the pinion not two like shimano's