WTF?!? (What The Finesse)... Shimano Sustain with an Edge

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:42 pm

Introduction: The majority of us who are first generation bass fishermen cut our index fingers on spinning gear. Casting gear, however "conventional", was just too mysterious and unorthodox to learn without a mentor to guide you in your training. Spinning gear is just easier to conceptualize mechanically and requires less effort and concentration to use - at least initially. Additionally, at a lower end, dollar for dollar comparison, (where most people enter bass fishing tackle department), spinning gear is just a better value. Case in point? Given the choice, I'd much rather use a $99 spinning reel than a $99 baitcasting reel.

Complete Article: http://tackletour.com/reviewshimsustainfg.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

spw
Angler
Angler

Re: WTF?!? (What The Finesse)... Shimano Sustain with an Edg

Post by spw » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:14 am

How does it compare with the Stradic CI4?

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:53 am

If not for that "EVA" foam handle i'd be on this reel. Great review Cal. I had the chance to fiddle around with this reel and it is very solid and smooth, and\\\not to mention that it matches well with most outfits. :big grin:
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:57 am

spw wrote:How does it compare with the Stradic CI4?
Not as light, but a more solid, connected feeling reel. A bit smoother, and more refined. As for how it feels when a fish is on, I cannot comment, but in hand, it does feel like a better reel.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:08 pm

spw wrote:How does it compare with the Stradic CI4?
I have the 2500CI4 and the 3000FG. Obviously the 3000 feels a bit heavier with the bigger spool, plus it's just a heavier reel overall; though it isn't really noticeable on the right rod. The FG feels much more solid and connected when you're reeling and with a fish on the line it feels more powerful and smoother. At higher speeds my CI4 seems to have a tiny bit of wobble, you don't get that at all with the Sustain. Biggest bass I caught on the FG was only about 2 lbs so I didn't get to really test out the drag, but with 8lb Pline I had no doubt in my mind I would get the fish in. I like the EVA knob on the Sustain a LOT better than the knob on the CI4. Still not a huge fan of EVA knobs, but this one is more comfortable to reel with. The Sustain is just an all-around more refined reel from looks to performance. Biggest downfall is a $300+ (though you can find them for $250ish at the right place) reel with no spare spool and a crappy reel bag. For the money, I wouldn't say it is worth spending $329 for the Sustain when you can get the CI4 for $199, since the CI4 is already a good reel and you save $130 that you could put towards a nice rod (maybe a Crucial, they're around that price). If you can get one of those $250ish Sustains, it is absolutely worth the extra cash though if you want a better looking, better performing reel.