Stop Whining? It's Shimano Japan's Scorpion DC

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:47 am

Introduction: If there is one group of reels that rarely fail to intrigue me they are the digital brake control reels of Shimano and perhaps more accurately, Shimano Japan. As a whole, these reels may not be perfect, and you can still experience professional overruns -especially if you're as professional as we are - but the shear joy they enable each and every time you shoot your cast is nothing short of addicting. Up until recently, however, Shimano's digital brake control (DC) was only available in their upper end reels. Last year, the manufacturing giant trickled DC technology down to their Scorpion level baitcasters (equivalent to the USDM Curado E / Chronarch E) and reports are the Scorpion DC is one of the hottest selling reels in Japan.

Complete Article: http://tackletour.com/reviewscorpiondc7.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Phantom
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Stop Whining? It's Shimano Japan's Scorpion DC

Post by Phantom » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:15 pm

thanks for the review, ive been wanting more (english) reviews on this reel for a while now.
i always thought this reel was more suited to finesse and i think youve confirmed it. dc not assisting casting instead better line control kinda confirms this (as with the pitching better). one you highlighted about it being very popular in japan it kinda another reason i want one, why you ask? well if a reel is popular the after market companies will (usually) have alot of upgrades to play with, bfs spools, custom accents (i dont need to go on you get the idea)

one thing i really gotta know is why use 50lb suffix??

nuocmam1222
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by nuocmam1222 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:07 am

I was curious, what was that Evergreen swimbait rod you guys used with the Scorpion DC there in the Amazon?

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:37 pm

Kinda make you wonder. Who makes these decisions at Shimano HQ? What do you get when you silenced R2D2?

Here is R2D2

Here is a Silenced R2D2 :doh:

I actually enjoy the original DC sound. Does anybody actually find it annoying? Ever?

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:44 pm

The 6.3 version makes a sweet spinnerbait reel, especially chucking them into the wind...kind of an overlooked app for this DC system, if you are looking for one...although the exchange rate still hurts...A Calais it isn't, in regards to a smooth, moving bait retreive....although that wasn't expected.