G.Loomis NRX rods go “Green”

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:23 am

Introduction: G.Loomis is in the process of rolling out new additions to their NRX lineup and the first thing that anglers will notice is that they feature a green finish that gives the line a completely different look and feel. To better understand exactly what these new NRX rods are and where they are positioned we went straight to the source and reached out to Justin Poe, Brand Manager for G.Loomis.

Complete Article: http://tackletour.com/previewgloomisnrxgreen.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: G.Loomis NRX rods go “Green”

Post by SPAZ » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:04 am

Not a fan. For my tastes it's hard to beat the raw graphite look.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:48 am

I'll have to wait and see one in person. Generally not a huge fan of "color" rods, but if they perform and the color isn't too over the top, I'm in :D

If I can find a "Blue" NXR as a clearance item, I'll break out my Testor's gloss black enamel and touch up those blue wraps... :lol:
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:38 pm

Personally, I find them quite attractive. I think it's a beautiful rod, much better than the blue NRX's. But I'm not a fan of blue on rods in general.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:00 pm

what a bunch of hooey.
"We know some people that have purchased NRX already will have the hard choice of continuing with the original or switching to this new color.”?
“Although there is no change in performance on our side we have heard from consumers and dealers that the rods feel even lighter than before. But the mind is a powerful thing!! When you like what it looks like and already know how good it fishes then your mind takes over. We weren’t worried about it and didn’t weigh them. We will let the fisherman be the judge!!”?
This is buzz marketing at it's worst. They've done nothing to rectify the issues the NRX has, only try to vaguely imply that some people might think they are almost better and on and on and on and on.
Go ahead guys, sell your NRX's and buy green ones so that Loomis can pay for their new paint shop.
Ugh. I used to covet Loomis gear. Now I don't think I'll ever buy one again. At least Shimano didn't try to fool the educated consumers about its Curado/Chronarch switcheroo. Posting this on TT is just shameful to me...
Set hard and set often

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:56 pm

Wow, I didn't bother reading the article until I read buckethunter's post above, and I gotta agree, total bs marketing.
I still think they're good looking and i've contemplated one(especially when I saw the green version), but no way in hell would I buy one until Loomis acknolwedges the problem and a fix. At $500, the issue makes it easy to pass up.
I'm really surprised tackletour didn't ask them about it as well, seeing as how you can't even mention the NRX in a thread without the problem coming up. What's up with that?

Gideon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Gideon » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:25 pm

Good read, I was totally confused what the green rods were about and the guy at my local shop also wasn't sure if there was a difference in the actual blank material. I'm with Zander though, I prefer the original rods, maybe the blue threading isn't for everyone but at least they looked different and were instantly recognizable. The new rods remind me of the old GL2 green finishes. I've got two NRX rods, one of them the drop shot rod, and they fish great. I won't be picking up one of the green ones, and I'm glad the originals will still be available.

Gideon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Gideon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:10 am

spookybaits wrote:I'm really surprised tackletour didn't ask them about it as well, seeing as how you can't even mention the NRX in a thread without the problem coming up. What's up with that?
Probably becuase it was already talked about at length in the original review.
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewgloomisnrxdsrpg5.html

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:36 am

Gideon wrote:
spookybaits wrote:I'm really surprised tackletour didn't ask them about it as well, seeing as how you can't even mention the NRX in a thread without the problem coming up. What's up with that?
Huh? It's late and maybe I missed it, but where exactly in that link does it mention the reel seat problems?
This is a new, updated version of the rod and the question is, have they addressed the issue in these 'new' versions or just painted them green?

Gideon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Gideon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:17 am

Hey spookybaits, sorry my bad, only saw the posts about the blue threads, didn't see anything about the reel seats/glue. I think thats only been seen on the casting which I don't think there is a review of yet. I personally havent encountered it on my original blue/matte rod.

Funny, I've been to two shops now where the salespeople think there is a blank/performance difference and not just a color change, I've told them to read TT, but it sure seems like a lot of confusion at the retail level about what these are, even the Loomis website is really general.

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:08 pm

spookybaits wrote:
Gideon wrote:
Huh? It's late and maybe I missed it, but where exactly in that link does it mention the reel seat problems?
This is a new, updated version of the rod and the question is, have they addressed the issue in these 'new' versions or just painted them green?
you would think that they FIXED them but who knows :?: its clearly the glue as my NRX852S foregrip started to move. I sent it in for warranty and begged with a note for them to provide me with a green one. Still waiting for it and its been two weeks. [-o<

and for anyone who pays full retail on a NRX is not too smart.
Kenjutsu
(剣術)

Nytron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Nytron » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:36 pm

Sweet. The new green color on the NRX rods will match the tons and tons of Curado E reels that they have sold. Shimano is thinking in terms of green, that's for sure.

Even though the black w/ blue accent former NRX rods looked great, the blue does not match any reel I can think of.

Gonna have to get one of these rods to match my Curado 50e for next season. Hopefully they do a mh or heavy swimbait rod, would be an unreal pairing with the Curado 300e.