The Speed Spool Returns – Lew’s Tournament Pro Baitcaster

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 912
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:12 pm

Re: The Speed Spool Returns – Lew’s Tournament Pro Baitcaste

Postby Bronzeye » Tue May 03, 2011 8:54 pm

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Bronzeye wrote:
Carlos Carrapiço wrote:The SX has better spool, better free spool system


Why is the spool better?
What do you mean by "free spool system," and why is it better in the SX?
Have you used this Lew's reel?

Although no stated the SX has "Infini II™ Spool Design for Extended Castability and Extreme Loads"
You can check the schematics http://abugarcia.com/sites/default/files/REVO%20SX%20%2016%2002.pdf


So you know the spool itself to be better because Abu has a nice name for it? Or is there something in the schematics that shows the spool itself superior (as opposed to the "free spool system," which I take it you find slightly less bad in the Revo than in the Lew's because there is plastic on one side instead of two)?

User avatar
Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 971
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:22 am

Re: The Speed Spool Returns – Lew’s Tournament Pro Baitcaste

Postby Carlos Carrapiço » Wed May 04, 2011 3:25 am

Bronzeye wrote:
Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Bronzeye wrote:
Carlos Carrapiço wrote:The SX has better spool, better free spool system


Why is the spool better?
What do you mean by "free spool system," and why is it better in the SX?
Have you used this Lew's reel?

Although no stated the SX has "Infini II™ Spool Design for Extended Castability and Extreme Loads"
You can check the schematics http://abugarcia.com/sites/default/files/REVO%20SX%20%2016%2002.pdf


So you know the spool itself to be better because Abu has a nice name for it? Or is there something in the schematics that shows the spool itself superior (as opposed to the "free spool system," which I take it you find slightly less bad in the Revo than in the Lew's because there is plastic on one side instead of two)?



There is a lot on info on the free spool designs and performance in the forum or at least there was. Therefore, seems redundant to discuss it here again. A quick search and some reading will get you to the point.

I can guess by how you defend the reel that you are a owner and happy.
For me this is 0k. I was happy with my Abu Black Max 1 until I looked at Daiwa and Shimano.

Bottom line, I pointed out some things that I believe to be week points. As I'm not interested in buying one of this reels so I believe its up to you to justify your investment.

To me a justified investment is a JDM Zillion, a Zillion Type R, Sol, a Shimano Conquest/Calcutta.
All this reel have proven to pass the test of time. They are more expensive but I have a Zillion JDM that was bought in the beginning of 2005 and is the most used of my reels.
This year received an upgrade of +5 bearings and still performs as well as the first day. None of the original bearings need to be changed.
The only problem I had was a cut in the line guide due to heavy usage in muddy water.

Let me know in five year where is your Lew's if you still remember the reel. :-k

User avatar
RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 801
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:03 am
Location: SENECA IL

Re: The Speed Spool Returns – Lew’s Tournament Pro Baitcaste

Postby RWSCHMITZ » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:41 am

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Bronzeye wrote:
Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Bronzeye wrote:
Carlos Carrapiço wrote:The SX has better spool, better free spool system


Why is the spool better?
What do you mean by "free spool system," and why is it better in the SX?
Have you used this Lew's reel?

Although no stated the SX has "Infini II™ Spool Design for Extended Castability and Extreme Loads"
You can check the schematics http://abugarcia.com/sites/default/files/REVO%20SX%20%2016%2002.pdf


So you know the spool itself to be better because Abu has a nice name for it? Or is there something in the schematics that shows the spool itself superior (as opposed to the "free spool system," which I take it you find slightly less bad in the Revo than in the Lew's because there is plastic on one side instead of two)?



There is a lot on info on the free spool designs and performance in the forum or at least there was. Therefore, seems redundant to discuss it here again. A quick search and some reading will get you to the point.

I can guess by how you defend the reel that you are a owner and happy.
For me this is 0k. I was happy with my Abu Black Max 1 until I looked at Daiwa and Shimano.

Bottom line, I pointed out some things that I believe to be week points. As I'm not interested in buying one of this reels so I believe its up to you to justify your investment.

To me a justified investment is a JDM Zillion, a Zillion Type R, Sol, a Shimano Conquest/Calcutta.
All this reel have proven to pass the test of time. They are more expensive but I have a Zillion JDM that was bought in the beginning of 2005 and is the most used of my reels.
This year received an upgrade of +5 bearings and still performs as well as the first day. None of the original bearings need to be changed.
The only problem I had was a cut in the line guide due to heavy usage in muddy water.

Let me know in five year where is your Lew's if you still remember the reel. :-k


WOW compairing a under $200.00 reel to $400-700 Japan reels ?????
Fishing is fun I do it to relax, I don't need a $1000.00 Daiwa from Japan outfit to feel good about fishing for Bass !
I have 2 Lew's reel, I like them for the $$$$, will I keep it for 5 years no, when somthing new comes out I will sell it and buy something NEW. Some guys that Lew's reel is all they can afford or want to spent on a reel to go Bass fishing. Your EQ. is all the Best $$$$ can buy, you are a lucky guy that U can do that, But the guy who saves up for a Lew's reel would never buy a $$$ Japan reel or rod.
Funny Tackle Tour gave the Lew's a 8.58 score and a Best Value Award, and the Zillion R got only a 8.25 score ?????
Pimp My Rod & Reel Richard W. Schmitz

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 860
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:42 am
Location: Lil'Can

Re: The Speed Spool Returns – Lew’s Tournament Pro Baitcaste

Postby slipperybob » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:33 am

I'm on my second TP1SH already since the first one was DOA. I blame the plastic parts failing. :-#
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

User avatar
RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 801
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:03 am
Location: SENECA IL

Re: The Speed Spool Returns – Lew’s Tournament Pro Baitcaste

Postby RWSCHMITZ » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:00 am

Tackle Tour used a LEW'S on there trip to the Amazon, and there plastic reels caught 10lb Peacock Bass, they also said they got 16.25lb of drag out of the stock reel.
Attachments
picamazontacklejip02.jpg
picamazontacklejip02.jpg (69.2 KiB) Viewed 1330 times
Pimp My Rod & Reel Richard W. Schmitz

User avatar
Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 971
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:22 am

Re: The Speed Spool Returns – Lew’s Tournament Pro Baitcaste

Postby Carlos Carrapiço » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:01 am

slipperybob wrote:I'm on my second TP1SH already since the first one was DOA. I blame the plastic parts failing. :-#


I'm not impressed or surprised at all.
The mix of abundant plastic parts in key areas for proper alignment of the gears together with aluminium gear... :-k

User avatar
Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 971
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:22 am

Re: The Speed Spool Returns – Lew’s Tournament Pro Baitcaste

Postby Carlos Carrapiço » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:08 am

RWSCHMITZ wrote:Tackle Tour used a LEW'S on there trip to the Amazon, and there plastic reels caught 10lb Peacock Bass, they also said they got 16.25lb of drag out of the stock reel.


And? I don't dough that. What I mentioned from the begging was the cheap construction. This can be better seen over the time.
For sure that reel used for the review never seen the water again. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
How can you test a reel for a period of a week? More, from what I have seen, they had at least 2 reels each to test. This means that this reel have seen 3 days of fishing :-k

When I buy a reel I expect it to give me about 100 days of fishing without major troubles. Less then that and you are paying a lot for each outing.

User avatar
RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 801
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:03 am
Location: SENECA IL

Re: The Speed Spool Returns – Lew’s Tournament Pro Baitcaste

Postby RWSCHMITZ » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:14 am

So you are saying that the Lew's reels will not last more then 3 months of fishing because you looked at the pics of the reel on T.T. review and saw that they have plastic parts inside the reel. It is funny that Cal never once said anything about this reel would not hold up more then 100 days of fishing in his review ? My first Lew's I got in Feb 2011 and it has been on 2 trips to Mexico and 1 trip to Canada and I have fished it in at least 3 Bass Tournaments this year so far, so I guess I had better get rid of it before it cost me alot in repairs. THANKS
Well from now on I'm not going to read any Reports on reels that TT does and just come to you for the reel report on a reel. THANKS
Pimp My Rod & Reel Richard W. Schmitz

User avatar
Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 971
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:22 am

Re: The Speed Spool Returns – Lew’s Tournament Pro Baitcaste

Postby Carlos Carrapiço » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:15 am

RWSCHMITZ wrote:So you are saying that the Lew's reels will not last more then 3 months of fishing because you looked at the pics of the reel on T.T. review and saw that they have plastic parts inside the reel. It is funny that Cal never once said anything about this reel would not hold up more then 100 days of fishing in his review ? My first Lew's I got in Feb 2011 and it has been on 2 trips to Mexico and 1 trip to Canada and I have fished it in at least 3 Bass Tournaments this year so far, so I guess I had better get rid of it before it cost me alot in repairs. THANKS
Well from now on I'm not going to read any Reports on reels that TT does and just come to you for the reel report on a reel. THANKS


Dear Richard,

You do whatever you want with the reel. If the reel has been good to you, then its great.
I'm here to talk about tackle and discuss opinions and I have no intent of making you or anyone dislike the reel.
One should be objective about things and the reel is probably very good considering the materials and construction but one should be aware of the common knowledge: "normally you get what you paid for"
My opinions and remarks are based on the construction materials and overall design of the reel and this is factual.

TT does a very good job considering that they have to move on. If they made a long term durability test in every reel, maybe we would be still looking at the old green Curado or Daiwa Z waiting for a severe fail.

All your trips together translate in how many full days (6 hours of continuous use) of fishing?
When you reach 20 full days on that reel, you can start speaking of long term durability.
Nevertheless, I still believe it has cheap construction but nothing worth the shouting [-X

Just my opinion.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 860
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:42 am
Location: Lil'Can

Re: The Speed Spool Returns – Lew’s Tournament Pro Baitcaste

Postby slipperybob » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:33 am

I myself do like using plastic/graphite reels, because they're cheap. Personally I find the internal plastic parts to be fairly on par with a majority of reels. In part I was really looking for a competitor reel that would offer better value than the CU50E's that I've got. The TP reels are price point and physical weight right there. As pointed out, it's rather dissappointing that the side plates are graphite. However in terms of reel functions, my biggest dissappointments are drag smoothnest and the drag curve setting. After three star drag lever clicks, I've got plenty of drag force already, two more drag lever clicks for a full rotation, then I feel like I've gotten 80-90 percent of drag setting. Not that I actually have a way to test it out, but it just feels like how I get in my cheap reels under $50. However my biggest dissappointment is the click adjustments parts as well as performance. I always think that click adjustments allows for good calibration adjustments, however the cheap plastic parts used, is practically the same as you get for cheap reels that comes with click adjustments just for the sake of having it. These plastic clickers are inconsistent. They can break without probable cause or last for years when you baby it.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish


Return to “TT Reviews”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests