Daiwa's Zillion Type-R, Rev up to High Speed

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:44 pm

Introduction: Just when I thought I had finally tested and written up my last Zillion article Daiwa introduced yet another addition to what has become their most prolific baitcaster series. The Type-R is designed to be the most sophisticated Zillion yet and is a natural replacement for the Limited Edition Anniversary reel. The Type-R makes use of some additional tuning components that increase both the performance and price of this sleek new reel.

Complete Article: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwazilliontyper.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

phillyblunt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Daiwa's Zillion Type-R, Rev up to High Speed

Post by phillyblunt » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:43 am

Thanks Cal, I was really looking forward to this review. I liked your car analogy/comparison to put it into perspective.

I am a huge Zillion fan and have been wanting this reel for some time. After reading the review I knew I HAD to get one. So, I placed a quick call to TW and a Type R is on the way...

Your timing on this review was perfect, thanks again!

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:26 am

you should check again, the author of the article
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

phillyblunt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by phillyblunt » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:49 am

sorry :oops: Thanks Zander, great review! It was what I needed to push me over the edge and grab one those bad boys.

In all fairness Cal, it's a little hard to pay attention to some of the details when you have pics of a beautiful reel, a hot car and the lovely Ms.Casey all on the same page...

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:11 pm

no mention of the speedball bearings, are they that much better than a stock zillion?
Kenjutsu
(剣術)

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:05 pm

BASSLAYER wrote:no mention of the speedball bearings, are they that much better than a stock zillion?
Yes, they are better based on my experience so far. I have flushed and re-lubricated the stock bearings in my Zillion Type-R and the performance is definitely superior to my former Zillion Coastal with ABEC #7s. Performance observed so far is equal to Steez with ABEC #7s, but not ABEC #9s.

At this point, I plan to fish with the stock bearings and maybe evaluate some ABEC #7s later this summer.

Doc

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:51 am

DrPerf wrote:
BASSLAYER wrote:no mention of the speedball bearings, are they that much better than a stock zillion?
Yes, they are better based on my experience so far. I have flushed and re-lubricated the stock bearings in my Zillion Type-R and the performance is definitely superior to my former Zillion Coastal with ABEC #7s. Performance observed so far is equal to Steez with ABEC #7s, but not ABEC #9s.

At this point, I plan to fish with the stock bearings and maybe evaluate some ABEC #7s later this summer.

Doc
Thanks Doc! Selling my Core 100mg to aquire a Type-R hope it sells fast.

Thanks for the reply. the monkey has been yanking my ear to get that GLX853 went a little trigger happy buying stuf online.
Kenjutsu
(剣術)

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:33 pm

The BCR 853 GLX is still sitting the rod rack, waiting for the "right" new owner :big grin:

Doc