What the Finesse : A "Weightless" Jig?

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:36 am

Introduction: Jigs are among the most simple, basic baits in a bass fisherman's arsenal. They are also among the more difficult to master because there are so many different ways to fish them. On any given day, just the slightest variation in your retrieve may be the key between a full or empty livewell. As any experienced jig fisherman will tell you, one of the most crucial, yet difficult variables to control in a jig is its fall rate. Size of the skirt, head design, weight of the head, are all options we can control, but at a certain point, gravity takes over and there's only so much you can do. I mean really, a half ounce jig is going to fall like a half ounce jig no matter how much you bulk up or trim down the skirt.

Complete Article: http://tackletour.com/reviewcluzerogravity.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

mrbassky1
Angler
Angler

Re: What the Finesse : A "Weightless" Jig?

Post by mrbassky1 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:14 am

There have been some other jigs with this same concept from small companies in the east. The first ones I remember were made by a small company in the Ozarks. They were made with a resin head and had different weights by rate of fall one of the first time I had seen that concept in a lure. I found out about the jigs from Bassmaster magazine actually. There was an article in the late 90s on fishing these near weightless jigs in lily pads, it was said to be an unbeatable technique at times. I got some at a local store but they were made with cheap components (at least compared to what we have today) the skirts melted off and the hooks rusted over time and I tossed them. But a few years ago I found some jigs with similar resin head and picked up some. They were made by a small company and were not even labeled with the manufacturers name. I still have these and may try and post a picture if I can. Again these are not high quality baits.

Just some info FYI. I don't doubt that when they designed this jig they may have thought it was original but others have had this same idea. This doesn't make the fact they put the concept into production any less innovative in my opinion.