A Masterpiece - Shimano's Metanium MGL 150B Baitcaster

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Post Reply
User avatar
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 11402
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: TT Headquarters
Contact:

A Masterpiece - Shimano's Metanium MGL 150B Baitcaster

Post by Cal » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:16 pm

A Masterpiece - Shimano's Metanium MGL 150B Baitcaster

Image

Introduction: It wasn't long ago that the Shimano Metanium was a high-end series that needed to be imported into the U.S., but as Shimano has continued to unify their global portfolio domestic anglers now have multiple Metanium baitcasters to select from. The Metanium reels have always focused on a balance of both performance and weight, and for 2020 the reel has been redesigned with a never before seen Magnesium CoreSolid body.

Complete Article: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimano ... gl150.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2621
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: A Masterpiece - Shimano's Metanium MGL 150B Baitcaster

Post by tywithay » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:22 pm

Can't wait to get my XG on the water. Feels amazing just playing around at the house

User avatar
Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 677
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:59 pm
Location: TackleTour HQ
Contact:

Re: A Masterpiece - Shimano's Metanium MGL 150B Baitcaster

Post by Zander » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:29 pm

tywithay wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:22 pm
Can't wait to get my XG on the water. Feels amazing just playing around at the house
Sweet! I'm still on the backorder list for an XG! I love the HG for general use but want the XG for topwater and punching in the Delta.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 963
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:12 pm

Re: A Masterpiece - Shimano's Metanium MGL 150B Baitcaster

Post by Bronzeye » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:20 am

The first blue-font body paragraph in the review refers to the reel's "19mm MGLIII spool." What measurement of its spool is 19 mm? :shock:

User avatar
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 11402
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: TT Headquarters
Contact:

Re: A Masterpiece - Shimano's Metanium MGL 150B Baitcaster

Post by Cal » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:24 am

Bronzeye wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:20 am
What measurement of its spool is 19 mm? :shock:
Width
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

User avatar
IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2272
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:20 am
Location: Glen Carbon, Illinois

Re: A Masterpiece - Shimano's Metanium MGL 150B Baitcaster

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:38 pm

By all accounts I've seen, this reel is pretty awesome. Imagine how amazing it would be with the ported spool and the line guide as far forward as it could have been.

DaveJ

User avatar
Slazmo
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 982
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 11:43 pm
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Contact:

Re: A Masterpiece - Shimano's Metanium MGL 150B Baitcaster

Post by Slazmo » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:52 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:38 pm
Imagine how amazing it would be with the ported spool and the line guide as far forward as it could have been.

DaveJ
If it's got a thiner spool and it has a shaped line guide which it has - shouldn't be too much of an issue for the line to peel off / swing side to side easily enough.

The guide could've gone forward just that little bit extra it seems...
IMG_20200627_094607.jpg
IMG_20200627_094607.jpg (24.66 KiB) Viewed 644 times
But would've it protruded out the side of the hood on its traverse to the sides?

User avatar
IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2272
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:20 am
Location: Glen Carbon, Illinois

Re: A Masterpiece - Shimano's Metanium MGL 150B Baitcaster

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:01 am

Slazmo wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:52 pm
IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:38 pm
Imagine how amazing it would be with the ported spool and the line guide as far forward as it could have been.

DaveJ
If it's got a thiner spool and it has a shaped line guide which it has - shouldn't be too much of an issue for the line to peel off / swing side to side easily enough.

The guide could've gone forward just that little bit extra it seems...

IMG_20200627_094607.jpg

But would've it protruded out the side of the hood on its traverse to the sides?
I think the Anteres spool is nearly identical except it has the additional side porting and different axle dimensions right? Probably not a big difference, but every little bit helps right, at least at the lower end.

I think the line guide could have moved up that entire distance and not have protruded at all, but I don't own the reel to know for sure. Obviously, not a huge deal since it is a great caster, but it could only have helped. It would probably save the occasional backlash as well.

User avatar
Slazmo
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 982
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 11:43 pm
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Contact:

Re: A Masterpiece - Shimano's Metanium MGL 150B Baitcaster

Post by Slazmo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:04 am

I'll never know as they don't come here to Aus, unless it's a import...

dennis_rf
Angler
Angler
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:57 pm
Location: Germany

Re: A Masterpiece - Shimano's Metanium MGL 150B Baitcaster

Post by dennis_rf » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:54 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:01 am
I think the Anteres spool is nearly identical except it has the additional side porting and different axle dimensions right? Probably not a big difference, but every little bit helps right, at least at the lower end.
If you’re comparing the Antares to the JDM Metanium yes they’re almost identical, but the US is a size 150. I have both the Antares A and JDM Metanium B 70 filled with PE and the filled weight of the spools is identical. Empty the Antares spool is around a gram lighter tho. With that 70 size spool I can throw a 1/8oz jig head with a 2“ worm 94 feet. 5/16oz hard baits is where the fun starts. If you wanna go lower there’s a 30 sized Yumeya spool available

User avatar
IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2272
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:20 am
Location: Glen Carbon, Illinois

Re: A Masterpiece - Shimano's Metanium MGL 150B Baitcaster

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:18 pm

dennis_rf wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:54 pm
IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:01 am
I think the Anteres spool is nearly identical except it has the additional side porting and different axle dimensions right? Probably not a big difference, but every little bit helps right, at least at the lower end.
If you’re comparing the Antares to the JDM Metanium yes they’re almost identical, but the US is a size 150. I have both the Antares A and JDM Metanium B 70 filled with PE and the filled weight of the spools is identical. Empty the Antares spool is around a gram lighter tho. With that 70 size spool I can throw a 1/8oz jig head with a 2“ worm 94 feet. 5/16oz hard baits is where the fun starts. If you wanna go lower there’s a 30 sized Yumeya spool available
The JDM and USDM spools are interchangeable right? One is just deeper than the other, but otherwise dimensions are the same?

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 880
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:50 pm

Re: A Masterpiece - Shimano's Metanium MGL 150B Baitcaster

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:31 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:18 pm
dennis_rf wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:54 pm
IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:01 am
I think the Anteres spool is nearly identical except it has the additional side porting and different axle dimensions right? Probably not a big difference, but every little bit helps right, at least at the lower end.
If you’re comparing the Antares to the JDM Metanium yes they’re almost identical, but the US is a size 150. I have both the Antares A and JDM Metanium B 70 filled with PE and the filled weight of the spools is identical. Empty the Antares spool is around a gram lighter tho. With that 70 size spool I can throw a 1/8oz jig head with a 2“ worm 94 feet. 5/16oz hard baits is where the fun starts. If you wanna go lower there’s a 30 sized Yumeya spool available
The JDM and USDM spools are interchangeable right? One is just deeper than the other, but otherwise dimensions are the same?
I don't think the spools are different size at all, depth or otherwise. Check the specs on both websites yourself. If anything, Shimano USA got the meter to yard conversion wrong on the 14lb rating. All signs point to them bieng the same, exact spool. As for the Antares/Metanium spool comparison, I'm interested see what makes up the "around a gram lighter" difference. Again, the line capacities are the same on the JP website.

http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/product/reel/5922

http://fish.shimano.com/content/fish/no ... IUM_B.html

http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/product/reel/5572

User avatar
IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2272
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:20 am
Location: Glen Carbon, Illinois

Re: A Masterpiece - Shimano's Metanium MGL 150B Baitcaster

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:00 pm

According to ReelTest on YT the Antares has the small side ports and the Met doesn't which is the reason for the weight difference. The brakes on the Met spool are a bit further away from the edge of the spool also. The Met actually casts slightly better even with the heavier spool. Could just be noise or differences in the line guide or line memory, etc.
Last edited by IlliniDawg01 on Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 880
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:50 pm

Re: A Masterpiece - Shimano's Metanium MGL 150B Baitcaster

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:32 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:00 pm
According to ReelTest on YT the Antates has the small side ports and the Met doesn'twhich is the reason for the weight difference. The brakes on the Met spool are a rich further away from the edge of the spool also. The Met actually casts slightly better even with the heavier spool. Could just be noise or differences in the line guide or line memory, etc.

Thanks for the info, good to know!

dennis_rf
Angler
Angler
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:57 pm
Location: Germany

Re: A Masterpiece - Shimano's Metanium MGL 150B Baitcaster

Post by dennis_rf » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:27 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:31 pm
I don't think the spools are different size at all, depth or otherwise. Check the specs on both websites yourself. If anything, Shimano USA got the meter to yard conversion wrong on the 14lb rating. All signs point to them bieng the same, exact spool. As for the Antares/Metanium spool comparison, I'm interested see what makes up the "around a gram lighter" difference. Again, the line capacities are the same on the JP website.

http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/product/reel/5922

http://fish.shimano.com/content/fish/no ... IUM_B.html

http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/product/reel/5572
I had the same thought with the last Metanium MGL, the line capacities are odd and suggest what you just presented but when you have the reels next to each other you can clearly see the difference. In the Screenshots attached it’s obvious we‘re dealing with two different spools.

Either Shimano suffers human input error or Japanese Lb and US Lb equal different line diameters which adds to this confusion, capacity is volume after all.
IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:00 pm
According to ReelTest on YT the Antates has the small side ports and the Met doesn'twhich is the reason for the weight difference. The brakes on the Met spool are a rich further away from the edge of the spool also. The Met actually casts slightly better even with the heavier spool. Could just be noise or differences in the line guide or line memory, etc.
The Metanium has a longer spool shaft on the SVS side and a silent tune spring (Antares only a rubber ring) which together should add to a gram.
There is no porting on the Antares spools sides what so ever, I’m sure we’re mistaking with the 16 Met MGL spool here.
Attachments
6E898285-59FE-4D97-BF9C-2DDC35DD692C.jpeg
6E898285-59FE-4D97-BF9C-2DDC35DD692C.jpeg (76.83 KiB) Viewed 338 times
0D021B6B-7DBD-4418-8042-878222242D5D.jpeg
0D021B6B-7DBD-4418-8042-878222242D5D.jpeg (59.09 KiB) Viewed 338 times

Post Reply