Welcome Back Shimano : The 2013 Metanium

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal »

Introduction: For years, we've wondered why large manufacturers like Shimano go through the effort to make specialized products for one market versus another when the overall applications of each product are more or less the same. Of course, we're speaking primarily about fishing reels, and even more specifically, bass fishing reels.

Complete Article: http://tackletour.com/reviewshimanometanium2013.html
Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Welcome Back Shimano : The 2013 Metanium

Post by Bootytrain »

Nice review, you are right on about the casting range, but try swapping out the brake blocks from all red to all white and see what happens. 8-) Oh and Shimano came out with a shallow and deep spool options for the Metanium at the same time the reel came out :)
USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET »

Nice review. =D> =D> =D>

Wonder how a shoot out between the Metanium vs. Steez would go? if only to see what an extra $200 buys in the way of features and performance w/ a Steez. :-k :whistle:
Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot »

USA-RET wrote:Nice review. =D> =D> =D>

Wonder how a shoot out between the Metanium vs. Steez would go? if only to see what an extra $200 buys in the way of features and performance w/ a Steez. :-k :whistle:
Or Met vs antares.. I see that comparison come up quite a bit on the forums.
Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain »

Afrayedknot wrote:
USA-RET wrote:Nice review. =D> =D> =D>

Or Met vs antares.. I see that comparison come up quite a bit on the forums.
Those would be interesting shootouts. The only advantage I see is the levelwind on the Antares.
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A »

Excellent UNBIASED review.
lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 »

Great review!

It actually made me consider this even more.
haoz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by haoz »

Bootytrain wrote:Nice review, you are right on about the casting range, but try swapping out the brake blocks from all red to all white and see what happens. 8-) Oh and Shimano came out with a shallow and deep spool options for the Metanium at the same time the reel came out :)
X2.

I swapped out the red blocks for all white ones. definitely easier to cast lighter stuff, but at the same time harder to 'tame' too.

I compromised by alternating red & white blocks, and results is a really good compromise.

I wonder how the shallow & deep spools perform tho....

lastly, a big THANK YOU to CAL. Miss reading your reviews... always informative, pragmatic and as unbiased as possible.
Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain »

haoz wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:Nice review, you are right on about the casting range, but try swapping out the brake blocks from all red to all white and see what happens. 8-) Oh and Shimano came out with a shallow and deep spool options for the Metanium at the same time the reel came out :)
X2.

I swapped out the red blocks for all white ones. definitely easier to cast lighter stuff, but at the same time harder to 'tame' too.

I compromised by alternating red & white blocks, and results is a really good compromise.

I wonder how the shallow & deep spools perform tho....

lastly, a big THANK YOU to CAL. Miss reading your reviews... always informative, pragmatic and as unbiased as possible.
Harder to tame yes, but the extra casting distance is worth it, I've gotten used to it so now I can use only 1 brake on and dial set to 1 and no thumb needed, not even on the landing with 3\8ths and up :) the reel is that good.
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits »

After looking closely at both the Antares & met... They seem to have a lot in common. They seem to have all the same features, same micro gearing, same line capacity, share the same 7.4:1 gear ratio in the hg model.
Main gear material is different, and different gear ratios, but... The met is starting to look like a strong buy, especially at some of the prices I'm seeing online.

I just asked over in the shimano support forum if the gears are interchangeable. Anyone know?
If I could put the brass antares gears in the met... I'd like that :D
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 »

spookybaits wrote:After looking closely at both the Antares & met... They seem to have a lot in common. They seem to have all the same features, same micro gearing, same line capacity, share the same 7.4:1 gear ratio in the hg model.
Main gear material is different, and different gear ratios, but... The met is starting to look like a strong buy, especially at some of the prices I'm seeing online.

I just asked over in the shimano support forum if the gears are interchangeable. Anyone know?
Wouldn't surprise me if the gear ratios are the same...esp considering first gen Calais gears are essentially the same as CUs of same gear ratio and others in Shimano's line-up.
Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot »

spookybaits wrote:After looking closely at both the Antares & met... They seem to have a lot in common. They seem to have all the same features, same micro gearing, same line capacity, share the same 7.4:1 gear ratio in the hg model.

I remember reading somewhere that the antares gears are more micro then the metaniums based off looks. No idea if they will fit interchangeably.
haoz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by haoz »

there is slight play in my handle, in & out of the reel. No backplay for mine.

does anybody know if I can cure this by adding in a washer or 2, or by changing handle?
igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx »

spookybaits wrote:I just asked over in the shimano support forum if the gears are interchangeable. Anyone know?
Would be sweet to have a 5.6:1 Metanium :big grin: