TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Does 832 Stand Up to Sudden Impact? It Might Make Your Day

Post by Cal »

How Does 832 Stand Up to Sudden Impact? It Might Just Make Your Day

Introduction:
In a our Superline Shootout of 2010, we pitted three popular but higher end braided lines against one another to see how they compared in an extended, on the water evaluation. That was nearly three years ago! Truth is, without some true, qualitative data, we just weren't happy with our own line reviews. Well, with the establishment and build out of our lab space, all that has changed. If you read the piece about our new FPI (Fluorocarbon Performance Index), you already know we've reformatted and standardized our line review metrics per line type, and today we debut our BPI (Braid Performance Index) with a look at Sufix's popular 832.

Complete Article: http://tackletour.com/reviewsufix832braid.html
scatter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Does 832 Stand Up to Sudden Impact? It Might Make Your D

Post by scatter »

What is the point of testing "knot strength" like that? It gives no indication of how well a line actually knots. Who would tie an overhand knot in their line? Most if not all knots used with braid use multiple wraps to spread load and increase grip.
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal »

Because it is not a test of which knot holds up best, but rather a comparative test of how each line holds up to the exact same knot. This test also eliminates the circumstance of failures do to slipping which is why a lot of people employ multiple wraps in their knots. Failures with an overhand knot tied in the middle of a length of line demonstrate what happens when the line crosses over itself - the worse case scenario.
Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa »

TT isn't doing "Knot Wars". That was already done.
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits »

Awesome article! Having used both the 832 & performance braid, I like the performance braid. Hard to say why exactly, It just seems to handle better (& less messy & fade). Overall though... I'm just not in love with it. Their mono is the best on the market imo, I guess I assumed the braid would be too.

Question about a stat in the article:
"BPI: In the end, 40 pound rated Sufix 832 Braid as tested in our lab scored a BPI of 74.5. The average of what will now be our baseline of seven products was 77.8. The high was 94.8 and the low was 59.3. Interestingly enough, the high and low scores were from products made by the same manufacturer. Sufix 832 scored almost dead on to the average."

Which suffix product scored the 94.8?
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal »

The product that scored those high and low numbers was not from Sufix ;)
thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 »

Screw the fishing line... is that Ms. Casey back in action? =D> \:D/ :big grin:
bciya
Angler
Angler

Post by bciya »

Cal wrote:The product that scored those high and low numbers was not from Sufix ;)
So can you tell us which braid scored the highest? :-k ...or do we have a new article on your site to look forward to 8-)
scatter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by scatter »

Cal wrote:Because it is not a test of which knot holds up best, but rather a comparative test of how each line holds up to the exact same knot. This test also eliminates the circumstance of failures do to slipping which is why a lot of people employ multiple wraps in their knots. Failures with an overhand knot tied in the middle of a length of line demonstrate what happens when the line crosses over itself - the worse case scenario.

So because all of the braids broke about the same, this actually tests nothing. Why not just use one commonly used knot in every test tied exactly the same way? That way it would test something useful - how well a line knots. This property varies markedly between braids of differing smoothness, diameters and coatings.
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal »

scatter wrote:So because all of the braids broke about the same, this actually tests nothing.
This is a classic case of reading into the review what you want. We stated that braided line has very poor knot strength and that the average across our 7 samples of lines was 49%. No where did we say they all broke at about the same percentage.

scatter wrote:This property varies markedly between braids of differing smoothness, diameters and coatings.
Again, given the relative same diameter, the smoothness and coating of a line will affect a line's tendency to slip out of a knot - not where that line will fail in a knot due to too much pressure. We are not testing failures due to slipping. A person can mitigate against this instance by using a different knot or employing extra wraps, and again this leads you down the path of trying to discover which knot is best to tie for a particular line or type of line. This is not our goal in these reviews.
WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT »

bciya wrote:
Cal wrote:The product that scored those high and low numbers was not from Sufix ;)
So can you tell us which braid scored the highest? :-k ...or do we have a new article on your site to look forward to 8-)
Oh, you know it will be a Daiwa product. [-X Cal already mentioned Samurai Braid in the article, and probably tightened down the 832 knot with that BFS XG wrench! DAIBIAS strikes again!

Hey, I'm totally kidding!!! :lol: It's cool that we can all still laugh about it.

In all seriousness, it would be nice to have some type of commentary on perceived noise and vibration through the line guides through both a common rod and reel to all braids tested. Even if that was subjective, it would be helpful. I think I"ve only used (what I think will be 4) of the 7 braids tested, and the ones that are really noisy...are really noisy.

Great article and new measurements, too. Thanks!
Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa »

Well, in a more qualitative shootout, the Sufix won:

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewpremium ... uppg5.html

It will be interesting to see numbers. :big grin: Even if Mr. Ted Daibias-e shows up. :lol:
Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 »

In the review under the Material Strength category Sunline, Sufix, Daiwa, and PowerPro were all mentioned. I am really looking forward to reading how Sunline stacked up to the other braid giants.

Hey Cal, I know there is already a review on Toray Finesse Braid, but have you run it through The Machine yet?
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 »

I would like to see Cortland Master braid...with whatever knot TT chooses to use as the standard.
scatter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by scatter »

Cal wrote:
scatter wrote:So because all of the braids broke about the same, this actually tests nothing.
This is a classic case of reading into the review what you want. We stated that braided line has very poor knot strength and that the average across our 7 samples of lines was 49%. No where did we say they all broke at about the same percentage.

scatter wrote:This property varies markedly between braids of differing smoothness, diameters and coatings.
Again, given the relative same diameter, the smoothness and coating of a line will affect a line's tendency to slip out of a knot - not where that line will fail in a knot due to too much pressure. We are not testing failures due to slipping. A person can mitigate against this instance by using a different knot or employing extra wraps, and again this leads you down the path of trying to discover which knot is best to tie for a particular line or type of line. This is not our goal in these reviews.
I'm not suggesting that, I'm suggesting you choose one common, standard knot and use it for all of the tests. Tie it exactly the same way each time. If the diameter, smoothness or coating of one line causes it to be more prone to slippage, that's the sort of helpful information anglers would appreciate. No one chooses a line based on what would happen if you happen to bizarrely get an overhand knot in it. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times that has ever happened to me and I'm guessing most anglers would be the same. There are quantifiable differences in the way different braids knot and I think you've missed an opportunity in the way you test them. Anyone else agree?