Login to view all forums

Introducing TackleTour's FPI-Fluorocarbon Performance Index

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Bladerunner808
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Introducing TackleTour's FPI-Fluorocarbon Performance In

Post by Bladerunner808 »

steve1206 wrote:I love the line data, as its many times the biggest "secret" of the fishing industry. For what it's worth, however, I don't like to see a line penalized for its labeling (JDM/class line will rule the category for nothing other than a mind-set) and I'd like to see tensile strength (strength vs. area/diameter) brought back, as I find this the most important measurement of strength, regarding line.

PS: Maybe some of that info is in their (graph not text) regarding MS and KS? Material strength? Knotted Strength?
EXCELLENT points.
Bladerunner808
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bladerunner808 »

Bronzeye wrote:I welcome this ambitious undertaking. Line advertising has been almost unchecked since Berkley bought Stren, and nonstandardized labeling makes it hard for most anglers to make comparisons.

I am surprised by an aspect of your rating system. The explanation of the new rating system states, with regard to parallel spooling of the line, that

"This minimizes instances of pinching, folding, creasing, and any other deformities each of which can affect everything from the strength of your line to how well it casts. This indication of quality is...worth 5 points in our FPI."

Do you have research data to validate those assertions? If so, I hope you will share that with us, as I have never noted that with nylon monofilaments. The only parallel-spooled nylon monos I have tested, both by Sufix, have considerably lower tensile strengths than many normally-spooled nylon monos. I have never encountered a folded line on a spool, or found a section of line pinched between other coils on the supply spool that tested weaker than the rest of the line.

By "creasing," I imagine you are referring to the slight tight waviness that line can have off the spool when it is not parallel-wound. But isn't parallel-wound line going to acquire those waves upon transfer to a spool of a spinning or baitcasting reel? Do you have comparative casting data to substantiate that lines cast better if they came from a parallel-laid spool? For all I know, crinkled lines could interrupt line-to-guide friction and produce longer casts. (Just watch--now the next Best-of-Show line at ICast will come pre-crinkled and be marketed as a low-friction breakthrough! :D )

What are the other "everythings" between the strength of the line and how well it casts that are affected by "pinching, folding, creasing, and other deformities" supposedly caused by traditional line-spooling, and what data demonstrates the negative effects?

One of the lines for which you showed a score would have improved about 10 percent in points if not for the hit it took for not being parallel-wound. If you have empirical data to demonstrate that parallel winding really does enhance strength, castability, and other unspecified properties, your upcoming reports would gain credibility if you shared that. If not, since you haven't really started publishing ratings yet, this would be the perfect time to chuck the 5-point hit. Just trying to be helpful, as I anticipate that many other members will be as interested as I am to see what you find out about the many fluorocarbon lines out there.
This part is ABSOLUTELY correct. Micro-kinks/waviness in a line might LOWER guide resistance like dimples in a golfball increase ball-flight by something like 50% !!!!!!!!!!!!
whartko
Angler
Angler

Post by whartko »

Ide really like to try the Tatsu line but holy smokes it is expensive!
steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: FPI is going to ruffle some feathers...

Post by steve1206 »

bassbandit wrote:I don't see how this will change anything. Who says belief has to be supported by facts? :)

Seriously, I am interested to see each of the lines compare to one another. I am not a huge flourocarbon guy but I'd like to see some actual data around here for a change.
There is actually already of ton of test data in the 2-part fluorocarbon showdown, if someone takes the time to read through it for the answers to the questions they may have. Maybe not the end all, be all or final word in fishing line, but very informative.
BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter »

This is all fantastic, the initial concept, and the points that the guys are making here...BUT
There is one HUGE thing I think that is being missed out of all it. It makes the ultimate difference, is a factor that applies to EVERYONE who uses the line.
How does it perform when wet?
These factors are all correct on the first cast, but how does the line perform when it spends an hour or more soaking in water?
We learned in past shootouts that this can have a serious effect on the characteristics of a line...how about scrapping useless dry tests and soaking the spool in water for an hour?
bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit »

steve1206 wrote:
bassbandit wrote:I don't see how this will change anything. Who says belief has to be supported by facts? :)

Seriously, I am interested to see each of the lines compare to one another. I am not a huge flourocarbon guy but I'd like to see some actual data around here for a change.
There is actually already of ton of test data in the 2-part fluorocarbon showdown, if someone takes the time to read through it for the answers to the questions they may have. Maybe not the end all, be all or final word in fishing line, but very informative.
I have read the TT Flouro Showdown multiple times and find it very informative. I was speaking more to the point that most of what is discussed on this board is completely subjective. I find review articles that are supported by actual facts more helpful in making informed purchases.
steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 »

bassbandit wrote:
steve1206 wrote:

I have read the TT Flouro Showdown multiple times and find it very informative. I was speaking more to the point that most of what is discussed on this board is completely subjective. I find review articles that are supported by actual facts more helpful in making informed purchases.
Gotcha. Lot of good info.
GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA »

You guys have way too much time on your hands but glad some one is doing it. :lol: Always glad to see the manufacturers being kept honest.

I'm also of the opinion wet results are more important than dry and most interested in how Fluoro recovers once stretched. Specially how useful it remains after permanent elongation sets in from a very large fish, long battle or being snapped from underwater obstructions. I've always replaced Fluoro leader once it obtained that milky look. Something I don't see mentioned with Fluoro main lines and curious to know if it's not the same issue that occurs with leader material. In fact, retesting after prolong stretch and being soaked for an hour would bring to light just how effective Fluoro really is and better if compared to how mono performed under the same stress levels. Are we really getting the benefits for those extra dollars spent. Many of us don't fish in the lab and real world results are often materially different than measurements previously obtained.
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal »

GARRIGA wrote: I'm also of the opinion wet results are more important than dry
If you read the Fluorocarbon Showdown Pt II from 2007, you will see we did indeed conduct tests after soaking the lines up to 3 hours. Effects were minimal at best. This is why soaking FC is not part of the FPI rating.

http://tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbon2.html
Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa »

Gracious - was that REALLY 6 years ago? :shock:
GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA »

That's interesting and no I don't recall. I have problems remembering yesterday's lunch. Lol

Is this because Fluoro doesn't absorb water? That makes the most sense.
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal »

GARRIGA wrote:Is this because Fluoro doesn't absorb water? That makes the most sense.
Yes, and that's the claim we were testing back then. It proved to be true through however many products were in that shootout, so now we just give them the benefit of the doubt. Nylon mono and copoly will likely not be so fortunate. ;)
QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE »

Is there a way to measure the sensitivity of each line? This attribute is mentioned quite often in posts about one fluoro being more sens. than another.
Like have a bar tap the line(with given force) on one end of say 10' of line and on the other end have a vibration monitor device capturing the transmission. So if one line is more sens. the VMD will record a higher reading.