Login to view all forums

Product Insight on new Calcutta's

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
q1w2e3_89
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Product Insight on new Calcutta's

Post by q1w2e3_89 »

Thanks for answering questions, Bantam1. What about the financial aspect of introducing different sizes to the US market? Is the reason for not bringing Calcutta 50, 51, 100 and 101 related to cost? I'd think that the marginal cost of increasing production of what's already on the JDM market would be relatively low, and I don't think it would cannibalize other Shimano offerings.
GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA »

Are the American buyers really that concerned with price, to the point they'll ignore a more robust offering because it's above a certain price point? Wouldn't Shimano/Daiwa benefits from catering to those of us, that just must have the best and within reason, cost is not an issue. Are we so few that the domestic partners prefer loosing those sales or marketing tools (we tend to brag about what we buy) to overseas?

I have no clue what percentage of the buying population we represent but if you want a Ferrari, you can find a local dealer, within reasonable distance in most area and not have to go to an importer for one's fix. Not implying I could afford one but if I could - I would.

I think both companies perhaps fail to see the potential of catering to a small segment that will find the best price but doesn't shop based on price. I think Shimano does this to a greater extent (not supporting Daiwa but just my perceived view of things). We like nice things that last and perform above the average offering peddled by the Bass Master Elite. We don't need to be fooled into thinking we'll win a major tournament because we fish like KVD. We know to some extent what we're doing and choose to do it our way, regardless, if there are more cost effective options. We don't shop for options - we shop for happiness. Oh, many of us do it South Paw style, too. :lol:

Hopefully that all came out right and didn't sound like me bashing. Something I often do being too honest and running with what I perceive because I just don't have all the facts but I'm working on it. :D
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal »

q1w2e3_89 wrote:Thanks for answering questions, Bantam1. What about the financial aspect of introducing different sizes to the US market? Is the reason for not bringing Calcutta 50, 51, 100 and 101 related to cost? I'd think that the marginal cost of increasing production of what's already on the JDM market would be relatively low, and I don't think it would cannibalize other Shimano offerings.
Shimano, as a whole, has discontinued the 50 size. The smallest size available in Japan for the Calcutta 12 is the 100.
Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 »

The 50 and 100 sizes simply did not sell well enough to continue offering them in the new model.

No matter what we do people will complain. That is a given. I simply wanted to point out the reasons that some changes were made. Some of my personal observations were given and as I can see, some of you disagree. That's fine with me. I have been honest with my assesment. I provided the reasons why we did not provide the quick access VBS feature several times. The major reason being cost. We do not just build reels for the TT crowd. We build reels for the entire country. If you don't like the decision we made, don't buy the reel. Simple as that. I just think that if you fished the reel you would understand what it was made to do and how well it is made.

And to say I am in denial or stressed? And this is a follow up to the election? There is no media to provide a spin on this one, and nobody will get food stamps or cell phones for being here :lol: I am not even remotely stressed about this. If you ever met me in person I think you would see I do not get stressed about much, nor am I in denial. I'm a mellow person with several hobbies that eliminate stress. I am simply here to provide the correct information. You can deny what I say is the truth and that is your opinion. I'm OK with it. I will go home today and not even think about this while I get ready to go hunting again.
Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch »

Bantam1 wrote:No matter what we do people will complain. That is a given.
Correct. There have been no company in the history of civilization that has made a product that everyone liked. You cannot simply appease everyone.
Bantam1 wrote:And to say I am in denial or stressed? And this is a follow up to the election? There is no media to provide a spin on this one, and nobody will get food stamps or cell phones for being here :lol: I am not even remotely stressed about this. If you ever met me in person I think you would see I do not get stressed about much, nor am I in denial. I'm a mellow person with several hobbies that eliminate stress. I am simply here to provide the correct information. You can deny what I say is the truth and that is your opinion. I'm OK with it. I will go home today and not even think about this while I get ready to go hunting again.
Well stated. We here at TT thank you for your input and inside knowledge. We may agree and disagree at times but you are a valuable assett. And we all know, sometimes you cant say what you want to say. It is about being politically correct especially with the company you work for and its part of the job. :big grin:
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 »

Bantam1 wrote:And to say I am in denial or stressed? And this is a follow up to the election? There is no media to provide a spin on this one, and nobody will get food stamps or cell phones for being here I am not even remotely stressed about this. If you ever met me in person I think you would see I do not get stressed about much, nor am I in denial. I'm a mellow person with several hobbies that eliminate stress. I am simply here to provide the correct information. You can deny what I say is the truth and that is your opinion. I'm OK with it. I will go home today and not even think about this while I get ready to go hunting again.
Good to know...and what, no food stamps or cell phones? :P

I read it that you may want to say certain things that you cannot, or should not say, or worse - type (especially on a public forum). Whether it be on the newest Calcutta or the initial issues with the NRX or any other Shimano product or decision...maybe the word "denial" wasn't the best choice.

Read ya on the board.
Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 »

There is no denial on my part. I think the Calcutta D is a win and I like the reel. I am thankful that there were NRX issues because it allowed me to repair reel seats and obtain several rods for my personal use :) I have my favorite products and that is what I use. Step onto my boat and you will see Core's, Stella's, Calais DC, Curado E/Curado 300D's, Cumara's, GLX's and NRX's and one Calcutta 200D. If I were in denial I would skate around the questions and answer in broad policy terms like someone that was recently elected :lol: If I were in charge things may be a little different. Thankfully I am not in charge, then I would be stressed.
Quillback
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Quillback »

I have to say, from what I've read so far, the Calcutta D will not be on my deck. Might make a good Alabama rig reel or big swimbait reel, fills that niche I suppose. But other than that, it appears to be an overpriced, feature poor, chunker and grinder.
GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA »

I recall when the Z2020 came out and most felt it wasn't a worthy pirchase be wise it weighted like a tank. What they failed to appreciate was that it was built to be a tank. I think we're seeing the same issues with the D.

It fits my focus because I favor large robust reels capable of handling the typical 5" plus anything I throw. There are other options if one throws less.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 »

Bantam1 wrote:There is no denial on my part. I think the Calcutta D is a win and I like the reel. I am thankful that there were NRX issues because it allowed me to repair reel seats and obtain several rods for my personal use :) I have my favorite products and that is what I use. Step onto my boat and you will see Core's, Stella's, Calais DC, Curado E/Curado 300D's, Cumara's, GLX's and NRX's and one Calcutta 200D. If I were in denial I would skate around the questions and answer in broad policy terms like someone that was recently elected :lol: If I were in charge things may be a little different. Thankfully I am not in charge, then I would be stressed.
Then I'll call it your perception and your opinion (as it is for all free speakers and thinkers)...it just may not "jive" with all fishers out there on some matters, Calcutta D to NRX and so forth.

BTW...you need to get some other brands in the boat with ya! :whistle: Or maybe you just have no need or desire or curiosity to stray away from Shimano. ;)
jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb »

GARRIGA wrote:I recall when the Z2020 came out and most felt it wasn't a worthy pirchase be wise it weighted like a tank. What they failed to appreciate was that it was built to be a tank. I think we're seeing the same issues with the D.
I don't think it's quite the same thing in this case, though. The Calcutta was not a new reel. It already had a reputation in the industry. As has been discussed, Shimano seems to have largely choosen the path of watering down their products while trying to keep prices down. Maybe that's the right business decision for them. Most folks buying reels probably have little or no idea they are paying the same for less. But it does not sit as well with informed buyers like most users of this forum are.
GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA »

I'm the first one to call a manufacturer out when they pull something stupid like repainting the Curado E and calling it the Chronarch E or claiming to revolutionize the Steez plus a $120 price increase when it only got a paint job and porting tweak.

I also understand cost go up because the dollar is going down. I have no issue with paying more today for foreign source product because we fail to compete with GDP and choose send jobs overseas versus producing more of what we need domestically. I don't blame Shimano or Daiwa for wanting to stay profitable.

I also understand the typical buyer is clueless to such things and may need to be fooled into thinking the extra $20 or $120 brings them more buck than accustomed to. That doesn't mean I like it and why all buyers should do their due diligence like visiting boards like this and doing some reading or asking questions versus trying to match what KVD is doing.

If the D truly has a new gear set that accomplished what the old TE did plus the new more corrosion resistance paint job plus better palming features than I'm fine with the price asked. If it turns out to be the B than I'll send the demos back with no intention of getting more of them. I'll be honest in my review.

I don't get fooled twice and I expect things will cost more today than yesterday. Why I've come to grips with the fact that if I want a Steez I have to deal with the price increase and the same for a new Calcutta. Although, in the case of the Calcutta the price stayed relatively stable. So long as they perform equally or better to what they have replaced the difference in cost is a personal decision as to one spending it or not.

One caveat, since I've never fished a B or TE, I'm going to be comparing performance to the Pluton which I've used with the same lures I'll be testing out. If performance is in par or better than to me the D is a winner. If its not than I'll have to scurry to obtain a 401 TE or be forced to fish righty and get a 300 TE.

As for the watering down. I think that's an American buyer issue and why many on this board prefer the JDM version and why I voiced earlier that perhaps both manufacturers should consider targeting domestically us who prefer the best of the best and willing to pay for it. Just don't add the typical bling and keep that Japanese flair. Would be nice to get warranty and local parts supply.
Quillback
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Quillback »

I can't understand the D being marketed as a "Tank" for us hamhanded American brutes (apparently that's what Shimano thinks of us). All I can say is good luck with that approach.
heatmiser
Angler
Angler

Post by heatmiser »

I purchased a Calcutta 400D about a month ago and am absolutely loving it! I am using it specifically to cast swimbaits and works fantastic. I have had no need to open the reel up to switch the brakes around. I do that on light weight baits depending on wind conditions. Even then I rarely do it. For a reel the size of the 400, I see the lack of access to the spool brakes not a big deal at all. Would I have rather had it be easier access? Sure, but it is not that important for a reel of this size. Sure on a 50, 100 & 200 size reel. I fish low profile reels on this size and all have easy to access brakes. I also fish low profile on 300 reels (Curado D's & E's) which have easy access to the brakes. I rarely ever open them up to change them though. It is pretty much set it & forget it. Just like my Calcutta 400D. I'm lovin' it!
BRbasser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BRbasser »

I have found that the heavier baits really do not need constant adjustment of the brakes. In my opinion the Calcutta D is not for finesse applications where this would be needed. Most of my friends that fish with the Calcutta are inshore anglers that are not throwing light weight baits.