Savvy Duo: Dobyns SS733C and SSM733C Micro Guide Rods

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa »

Introduction: As one of the top tournament anglers to ever come from the west coast, Gary Dobyns knows what it takes to win. When Gary's Bass rods hit the market several years ago, it didn't take long for them to become favorites of anglers everywhere. The Dobyns rod lineup includes models to fit every budget, as well as every imaginable technique. Their lowest-tier offering called the Savvy series promises tournament-level performance at affordable pricing. The latest addition to the Savvy lineup includes spinning and casting rods featuring micro guides. In this review we compare two 733C rods, one with micro guides and one without, to see the strengths and weaknesses of each.

Complete Article: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdobynssavvymicro.html
zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Savvy Duo: Dobyns SS733C and SSM733C Micro Guide Rods

Post by zodiak311 »

I originally thought that it was all in my mind. I have the Micro 733, and also noticed that it was a softer blank than the traditional 733.
Great review! =D>
WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT »

zodiak311 wrote:I originally thought that it was all in my mind. I have the Micro 733, and also noticed that it was a softer blank than the traditional 733.
Great review! =D>
That blank difference is bewildering to me. I have no Savvy but I don't understand why different blanks would be used...unless multiple suppliers and/or build sites are being used?

Looks like that golf course is being used correctly (for fishing!)...great review. Always good to see more mainstream stuff mixed in to the TT reviews, so thanks!
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 »

Maybe there is the assumption that smaller, lighter guides, in a slightly different spacing would effect the rod's action? Typically micros will enhance the "speed" of the rod...usually felt as being "more crisp" by the user.

Slower taper to compensate for the micros?
smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve »

I will have to be the voice of dissent and say that a <3% difference in rate of deflection is more likely a result of manufacturing variations than an entirely different blank.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 »

smalliesteve wrote:I will have to be the voice of dissent and say that a <3% difference in rate of deflection is more likely a result of manufacturing variations than an entirely different blank.
Yes...very much a possibility. I haven't handled both of these rods with the different guides; to be able to form any opinion based upon my personal experience.
Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 »

ive got both the 703micro and the 703 normal and the blanks feel the same to me in terms of power..
Ill see what I can conjure up with my 2 rods more closely..
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod »

In my time away i've been able to dig in reviews not normally something I am able to do.
I stubbled upon this review and wanted to know what is the latest take on these rods?
Especially compared in prices , say of the Zodias how do they compare in features and
performance? I am talking particularly the Micro.. I supposed that the 1/4-3/4 would be
a great 10lb test PXTR or braid t rig pond fishing or deep clear water fishing rod.