Login to view all forums

The Re-REVOlution Begins, First Look at the 2013 Revo

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: The Re-REVOlution Begins, First Look at the 2013 Revo

Post by facelessnewsouth »

Tokugawa wrote:Besides, the BPS Carbonlite is the same weight and design as the new Premier (sans braking system and a few less lbs on the drag)...for a lot less.
Kind of underwhelming, isn't it? :lol: A friend of mine called this one when the JM carbonlite came out.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 »

Yep...it's called OEM re-badging.

I personally like the second introduction of the Revo line-up better...and the MGX best overall.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."
Tavery5
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tavery5 »

facelessnewsouth wrote:
Tokugawa wrote:Besides, the BPS Carbonlite is the same weight and design as the new Premier (sans braking system and a few less lbs on the drag)...for a lot less.
Kind of underwhelming, isn't it? :lol: A friend of mine called this one when the JM carbonlite came out.
Spool design is different between the two also. Maybe not huge, but worth the mention.
Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço »

The new REVO line seems nice specially in terms of weight and ergonomics. The rest seems to be the MGX technology coming down to the rest of the line.

Concerning the spool design: wider spool (as someone already mentioned) will increase the line drag upon casting.
Also, when looking at the presentation video, I had the impression that the line was also leaving the spool with a sharp vertical angle due to the lower position of the line guide in respect to the spool.

Last, wider spool but same line capacity leads me to think that this reels will have a tinier spool diameter and therefore more problems dealing with FC lines :-k
RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RWSCHMITZ »

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:The new REVO line seems nice specially in terms of weight and ergonomics. The rest seems to be the MGX technology coming down to the rest of the line.

Concerning the spool design: wider spool (as someone already mentioned) will increase the line drag upon casting.
Also, when looking at the presentation video, I had the impression that the line was also leaving the spool with a sharp vertical angle due to the lower position of the line guide in respect to the spool.

Last, wider spool but same line capacity leads me to think that this reels will have a tinier spool diameter and therefore more problems dealing with FC lines :-k
BUT a wider spool will also give you a higher line pickup at the end of a long cast, narrow spools will have a lot slower line pickup due to the spool being smaller in dia. Each design will have it's + and -
Pimp My Rod & Reel Richard W. Schmitz
Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço »

RWSCHMITZ wrote:
Carlos Carrapiço wrote:The new REVO line seems nice specially in terms of weight and ergonomics. The rest seems to be the MGX technology coming down to the rest of the line.

BUT a wider spool will also give you a higher line pickup at the end of a long cast, narrow spools will have a lot slower line pickup due to the spool being smaller in dia. Each design will have it's + and -
The problem:

Average spool capacity: 16 lb/ 100m which corresponds to a constant volume

The spool capacity in volume is given by:

Volume = pi * R^{2} * W - pi * r^{2} * W

Where R is the lip radius, r is the arbor radius and W the width of the spool.

Keeping the volume constant which means the same line capacity and increasing the width would lead to two possible changes in spool geometry:

1) Increase arbor radius (keeping the same lip radius) which would make the spool look shallower and also increase line pickup in the end of the cast.

2) Maintain the arbor radius and decrease the lip radius which would have the opposite effect.

What is the case in the new Revo line? Guessing by the new reduced profile, I would say that Abu went with option 2 :-k

You can also calculate the spool diameter considering the IPT and gear ratio.