Five Seconds and More with Quantum's EXO PT

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal »

Introduction: We mentioned, at the beginning of our review of Abu Garcia's new Revo MGX, a recent poll on both our discussion forum and Facebook Fan Page featuring a non-all inclusive list of the reels slated for review this coming year on TackleTour.com. We asked readers to vote on which reel they would like to see reviewed first. The Revo MGX was the early leader, hence its recent review. Checking back on our Facebook poll reveals the Shimano Japan Scorpion XT DC overtook the MGX so you'd think that reel would be next up. Surprisingly one reel that really caught our interest at ICAST did not fare so well in either poll. Could it be consumers had seen enough from this manufacturer and are therefore jaded against any new product regardless of how intriguing it may be? It's quite possible.

Complete Article: http://tackletour.com/reviewquantumexopt.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"
5poundhooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Five Seconds and More with Quantum's EXO PT

Post by 5poundhooker »

Very good review Cal. I do think people shy away from Quantum's in general due to past experiences. They usually take a more controlled thumb to cast far without backlashes. The made in China doesn't help for a lot of the users of this site. I probable have 80% Quantum reels due to their affordability and that you can already buy the EXO for around$185 on e-bay. The prices are right and with a few mods, can be excellent performing machines. I have found with a bit of time and a nice Dremel tool you can make most upper end Quantum's quite nice both in casting and retrieving.
Once again good review.
robertj298
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by robertj298 »

Good review but the one thing I would like to see is a review of a reels longevity. I've seen dozens of reels that are great the first year or so but wear out after that. Thats one reason I've always liked Shimanos. I still have several of the old green Curados that work very well. I know you can't test a new reels longevity so all you have to go by is a manufacturers track record
Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl »

What surprised me was the tested drag pressure. 6lb is quite a bit less than the advertise output of 15lb. The smoke reels were quite close at 14.2 and only .3 ounces heavier. Must be similar to 5lbhookers QTM reel experience where the wrong lubricants are used. Hey 5#, that's where ur energies hot sauce went, on the exo pt drag! Bet the thick white grease on your reel was meant for the drag hahaha
Last edited by Mcyl on Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.facebook.com/MCY.LO
Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl »

5poundhooker wrote:Very good review Cal. I do think people shy away from Quantum's in general due to past experiences. They usually take a more controlled thumb to cast far without backlashes. The made in China doesn't help for a lot of the users of this site. I probable have 80% Quantum reels due to their affordability and that you can already buy the EXO for around$185 on e-bay. The prices are right and with a few mods, can be excellent performing machines. I have found with a bit of time and a nice Dremel tool you can make most upper end Quantum's quite nice both in casting and retrieving.
Once again good review.
Quantums reels seem to be a bit like a DIY reel. Everyone seems to want to fiddle with them to make them run better. I wouldn't mind having a crack at super tuning one! With such a rigid frame I'm thinking updated drag spring washers along wd the usual cal's grease, boca 7 orange seals and a shallow spool.
www.facebook.com/MCY.LO
5poundhooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 5poundhooker »

That may have been the case with the grease. I don't know. An 11 gram spool if only it was shallow it would give a Pixy a run for the money in comparison. The spool bearing sizes have changed, that may make it cast different also. I don't know why people are not commenting more. That was a great review. The Smoke had a great review also and now all the other reel companies are copying the murdered out look of the Smoke. I think people expect the reel to thumb itself sometimes and that is why they complain about Quantums backlashing so, much. My only gripe is the lack of components in the reels that are clearly on the box and on all store descriptions. All bearings polymer caged "PT". I have not took one apart that has made that statement true on any reel. 1-3 are polymer caged "PT" bearings.
dread0
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by dread0 »

Did i just see "Quantun Exo" and "Daiwa Pixy" appear in the same sentence??? LOL!