Humminbird Quality

kalninm
Angler
Angler

Humminbird Quality

Post by kalninm » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:17 pm

Alright, first I'd like to say I'm not new here, just went quiet for a year or so and completely lost all my stuff to log into my account. So fresh start it is i guess. So here's my question, I know a lot of guys are very brand specific when it comes to electronics especially with Humminbird and Lowrance. Now I'm sure some Lowrance guys will chime in and disagree with my next statement but it is purely from the articles and reviews I've read. This statement being that Humminbird makes some of the best units on the market right now especially with the mega imaging and 360, I've just constantly been told that they put out an amazing product. Now when I got my first boat, a little 12' tin can, I put a brand new Humminbird helix 5 on it. At this time they were Gen 1. After 2 months I had water intrusion. Sent it back and got the warranty on it. Fast forward 12 months and I start getting mist on the inside of the screen again. I find a work around along with how it was getting in this time. Now last year my buddy got two brand new G2N helix 7's, a side imaging and a down imaging. In 14 months the down imaging has water intrusion, and what do you know the warranty on the helix is 1 year so it's out of warranty. I just don't understand how a company can sell something specifically designed to be used in the outdoors and in the rain and on the water and then after a year not care that it gets fried cause their seals failed especially when you're talking about $600+ per unit. So to the point is, am I just experiencing bad luck or is this a real issue that they just aren't addressing? Please share your own stories, haven't heard of this happening with any Lowrance products by the way, just saying.
Sorry for the rant but just a little frustrated by the issue and confused that I haven't heard about this from anyone else.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Humminbird Quality

Post by Tim Kelly » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:37 pm

I've had a few different units over the years and all of them have had condensation in the screen under certain conditions. Different brands, same situation. It always goes away during the day.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:29 pm

I got two helix 7's and one of them has gotten wet a few times without any problems.

knocking on wood now... :big grin:

I want the new Garmin panoptix livescope.

kalninm
Angler
Angler

Post by kalninm » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:08 pm

I know these units are build with a pre determined moisture content inside so a little condensation can happen from time to time but all the issues I'm describing are completely failures of the seals, frying the inside completely. Just surprised and let down by the quality I've seen lately from Humminbird and wanted to know all of your thoughts and experiences on the subject.

bpettus2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bpettus2 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:33 pm

It’s not just hummingbirds every one is build the same . I’ve had lowrance issues just as you described . I for one go with hummingbirds there customs support seems to be better

kalninm
Angler
Angler

Post by kalninm » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:37 am

Interesting, maybe its because I've been around the Humminbird brand a little more but I haven't heard on that with Lowrance before.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:06 am

kalninm wrote:Interesting, maybe its because I've been around the Humminbird brand a little more but I haven't heard on that with Lowrance before.
All of the new electronics are great, and all of them can have problems.
That's why customer service is so important.
When Simrad bought Lowrance and "consolidated" it's work force, it lost the best customer support person ever when they let Linda Colt go. Call now and you never know if the person you talk to actually knows what they're doing.

mikey
Angler
Angler

Post by mikey » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:50 pm

I can't speak about Lowrance quality now as I quit buying them about $8000.00 dollars ago. Why? Linda Colt, the best customer rep that I have dealt with in nearly fifty years of equipment purchases. What a true asset to a company and the fishing industry. Any company that let her go isn't getting any more of my money.

Mikey