SI for Trolling Motor

FrankW
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

SI for Trolling Motor

Post by FrankW » Mon May 02, 2016 2:25 pm

I have a Huminbird SI/DI/GPS on the console. I need a new unit for the trolling motor. Have not used SI on a trolling motor and wonder what you think? I fish Central Florida in shallow lakes most of the time. Sometimes I do fish a couple of river lakes with deep water. I need some information on how SI works on a trolling motor. Cost is a consideration and don't want to buy SI for the trolling motor unless it is a real benefit. If it is a real benefit than I don't mind spending the money.

I will really appreciate any information that you might share with me.

Frank

FrankW
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: SI for Trolling Motor

Post by FrankW » Wed May 04, 2016 8:40 am

What is going on. ](*,) Lots of views but no one uses a SI depth finder on their trolling motor? I just want to know how they work on the trolling motor. I hope someone takes pity on me and helps me out.

Frank

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by toporanger » Wed May 04, 2016 7:33 pm

SI requires you to be moving. I have seen some pics of people using the trolling motor and spinning it with the SI and they use those images, check bbc boards for examples. Personally I dont have SI on the trolling motor as I just networked the rear SI to the front finder and got a cheaper non SI front graph, works great. The only issue is you have to be aware that the SI you are seeing is behind you.

I use SI when I get to spot not so much when Im fishing. I come into the area around 5mph and tool around marking stuff with SI then use the map to get to those areas with the front graph.

FrankW
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankW » Thu May 05, 2016 12:25 am

Hi toporanger,

Thanks for your response. =D> I really appreciate it. Apparently not a lot of people use SI on their trolling motor.

Frank

soulfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by soulfisher » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:03 am

X2 with what toporanger said. I dont use it on the trolling motor either and not sure if you would want to- just network with your rear. I live in florida as well and aside from the river, there aren’t many lakes I fish that I get much use out of it- at least when compared to what it is capable of doing on the river. Also, I have noticed that when I turn the boat, the image becomes deformed or wavy and I would think that so much movement on your trolling motor would render it in this same fashion.

FrankW
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankW » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:25 am

Hi soulfisher,

Thanks for your input. I went with a Helix 9 DI rather than the side imaging.

Frank

O26A
Angler
Angler

Post by O26A » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:20 am

I have my front SI unit speed set at 1. I use a troll perfect on my TM and a lot of time set it on constant speed to cruise a shore line. i'll keep about 75 feet away from the shore and scan up to the shore and opposite side of the boat. it's amazing how much structure i come across on the opposite side of the boat. if i come across something nice i'll double back on it and check it out with DI. works great when trying to pick apart a home lake or when trying to find that little spot on a spot
- Rick