Dr Depth Software

Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Dr Depth Software

Post by Gblaze » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:36 pm

Im thinking of upping my game from an electronics standpoint this season. I am re-outfitting my boat with HDS gen 2 and thinking about getting drdepth to use the structure scan to do really detailed togoraphy of my favorite spots (- and hopefully find some new ones)

This software seems cool buts expensive- especially the bottom hardness package. Anybody here bought it or seen it used?

SC Bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Dr Depth Software

Post by SC Bassin » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:03 pm

You might want to wait until you see what the sidescan & downscan looks like. just a thought.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:27 am

My brother is a professional computer animator. He frequently does full 3D views and animations of some of our favorite hotspots which really help your understanding of exactly what is down at the bottom. I showed him this software and he was totally geeked out by it.

I've haven't personally seen it...just YouTube demos...but from the opinion my brother has of it...if lake bottom is critical information for you...this software is a must have. The ability to create your own maps is outstanding. And the more you go over a spot, the more data you have. Its pretty cool stuff.

Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Gblaze » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:23 pm

Mattman wrote:My brother is a professional computer animator. He frequently does full 3D views and animations of some of our favorite hotspots which really help your understanding of exactly what is down at the bottom. I showed him this software and he was totally geeked out by it.

I've haven't personally seen it...just YouTube demos...but from the opinion my brother has of it...if lake bottom is critical information for you...this software is a must have. The ability to create your own maps is outstanding. And the more you go over a spot, the more data you have. Its pretty cool stuff.

Thanks Matt-
Just had a marine engineer tell me its a water-downed version of what was used to map out the titanic. Pretty cool and rather sophisticated stuff. He said for the price it actually is a steal. 10 years ago that software would run you at least 20x as much

Im getting a navi chip with my HDS system so Ill start there - but some of the lakes I fish are private and this software would be v valuable

SWH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SWH » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:23 pm

I use it to map out local lakes in Denmark as they are not covered by Navionics and it does work fairly well. You can record when boating around and create your own maps for Lowrance with high detail, but the nice thing is reviewing data at home and creating waypoints, lines representing targets you want to fish, actually, just check some of the demos on Youtube and you get the idea. Now the downside is that user interface and just how things work is a freaking mess, so buy some Aspirin and a bottle of red wine for your first date.

Nice thing is reviewing data and creating things at home to use on the water, but it's a bumpy ride .. my 02c.

(recording Sidescan requires a planned total cover run over the lake - it seems that if you overlap it damn it up)

SWH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SWH » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:27 pm

Oh, and you do not get a Navionics like map, just a plain and simple contour lines. For viewing bottom hardness and all that you need to use softwate, so either an Ipad or perhaps a laptop is needed.

Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Gblaze » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:17 am

SWH wrote:I use it to map out local lakes in Denmark as they are not covered by Navionics and it does work fairly well. You can record when boating around and create your own maps for Lowrance with high detail, but the nice thing is reviewing data at home and creating waypoints, lines representing targets you want to fish, actually, just check some of the demos on Youtube and you get the idea. Now the downside is that user interface and just how things work is a freaking mess, so buy some Aspirin and a bottle of red wine for your first date.

Nice thing is reviewing data and creating things at home to use on the water, but it's a bumpy ride .. my 02c.

(recording Sidescan requires a planned total cover run over the lake - it seems that if you overlap it damn it up)

Really?
I thought overlapping was OK for structure scan - that it actually helps render higher definition

SWH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SWH » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:27 am

In my case it does not seem to work and the pictures itself turns blurry, sort of black and not clear at all, and the settings has no options left to try out. I also noticed that everyone who seems to compile complete side scans of a lake have done these pre-planned runs and not just went all over the place - remember that Side Scan only works properly when moving too as you must have a 'heading' direction in order for the program to orientate the scan cone.