Battery Guru's Help

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Battery Guru's Help

Post by USA-RET » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:16 am

My trolling motor battery is 5 years old. Running a 12 volt trolling motor and was thinking of going with a AGM rather than a lead acid. I have a Bass Pro ProMariner Pro sport 2 bank charger.

Can I replace the lead acid trolling battery and keep the lead acid cranking battery and use the same charger? I read you shouldn't mix battery type, but guessing that is running them in series. Since the charger has two separate banks, having a lead acid and AGM on different banks wouldn't make a difference.

In fact when I use a Schumacher digital charger on the lead acid deep cycle trolling motor battery it defaults to AGM.

Nothing is ever simple. The Bass Pro charger states it is set to lead acid at the factory but will charge most AGM batteries. (Key word being "MOST").

Sam's has nice Duracell AGM Marine batteries for $109 and $139 (East PENN /Deka makes the Duracell among others).

Failing that I will buy a Costco Kirkland Marine lead acid deep cycle (made by the same company Johnson Control Industries that make Interstate and Diehard)

Heloman
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Battery Guru's Help

Post by Heloman » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:21 pm

I am certainly not a battery guru, but I have done the exact same thing as you want to do and had absolutely no issues. Hope that helps.

Imavol
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Imavol » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:59 am

Sorry I have not been on here lately, but yes you can do this. The lead acid and Agm battery charge on almost exactly the same charging curve. The only type of battery it would not work with is a gel battery.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:08 pm

Good to know, have been researching and thought the same thing. Guess it's off to Sam's for a Duracell 200RC AGM. \:D/