On Board Chargers

CJTBassman
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

On Board Chargers

Post by CJTBassman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:24 am

I know this does not belong here but I need more exposure for help.

I need suggestions for the best on board charger for flooded batteries. I have two size 27 deep cycle (only trolling motor on them) and one size 24 crankin' battery (engine and all other elctronics on it). On a 17'6" fiberglass bassboat with a 135 Merc 2 stroke and a 80 lb Minn Kota Maxum trolling motor. I have looked a 3 bank chargers, 15 amp per bank, from Dual Pro and Minn Kota. Any suggestions? Minn Kota is have a sale today

mitchct
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: On Board Chargers

Post by mitchct » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:42 am

I'm not sure from reading your post if you want a recommendation between the Dual Pro and Minn Kota, or are looking for suggestions in general. I don't have experience with the Dual Pro or MK, but for my money the ProMarine Pro Tournament can't be beat. They have chargers for two, three, or four batteriess. As I recall I paid about $169 for the three batt charger at Bass Pro. I just looked on-line, though, and don't see the three battery charger listed but the two battery is $190, so I may be remembering incorrectly. In any event, it's a good charger (will last forever) if it's in your price range.

Imavol
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: On Board Charger Needed ASAP

Post by Imavol » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:43 am

For what you get the Bass Pro Xps Chargers are hard to beat. The 5/5/5 Xps Charger is a great charger, It has a true 3 step charging. The weight of it is 1/3 that of the 2 other chargers you mentioned. It is a 15 amp charger and how it works is it puts 15 amps to the lowest battery until it gets to the next lowest then it puts 7.5 amps to each of those until it gets to the last battery then it puts 5 amps on each. That way you are bringing the batteries up together. Also every 28 days if you have your charger plugged in it automatically cycles your batteries to help prevent sulfation. If you can wait at all you can get them for about $130 on sale. Unfortunately they are not on sale right now. But they were on the sale before this one started. If you have anymore questions shoot me a pm.

CJTBassman
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by CJTBassman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:49 am

I am looking for any highly recommended chargers not just Dual Pro or Minn Kota

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: On Board Charger Needed ASAP

Post by jeb » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:10 am

Minn Kota makes a great charger. I've had one in my boat for about a year and a half now. Flawless thus far. I've heard nothing bad about them. Good warranty, too. I don't think you'd go wrong buying one sale.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:13 am

I replied in your other thread, but I've had issues with the ProMarine products. I've burned up 2 of the 2 bank models. They'd last a year or two and then go south, usually taking out the batteries in the process. They replaced them both, which is good. But I've always said the best warranty is the one you don't need! ;)

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:24 am

jeb wrote:I replied in your other thread, but I've had issues with the ProMarine products. I've burned up 2 of the 2 bank models. They'd last a year or two and then go south, usually taking out the batteries in the process. They replaced them both, which is good. But I've always said the best warranty is the one you don't need! ;)
Other thread was removed as a duplicate.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

Imavol
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Imavol » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:40 pm

jeb wrote:I replied in your other thread, but I've had issues with the ProMarine products. I've burned up 2 of the 2 bank models. They'd last a year or two and then go south, usually taking out the batteries in the process. They replaced them both, which is good. But I've always said the best warranty is the one you don't need! ;)
And I have had just the opposite luck with them. The one on my aluminum boat has been plugged in since 2001 and is still going strong. The one in my fiberglass boat has been in and plugged in since 2004 with no issues. On the other hand the dual pro that I had on the boat before that was replaced 3 times in 3 years. And my Dads Minn Kota was replaced 2x in one year. Everybody has a bad one now and again it is just weather you get a good one from the start, how well the company stands behind there product.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:32 am

STEALTH I is the best.
I have had'em all
Dual pro-(3)
Minnkota(4)
pro mariner(2)

The STEALTH I will charge on the water while running your motor and so you don't have to race back to the motel for the first in line charge on those long circuits that have very few volts coming out of the DC when you get to plug past plug in #3 from the fuse box.

Check'em out: same one for 4 years no issues. same batteries too.

http://www.stealth1charging.com/

SC Bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SC Bassin » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:52 pm

I have a Minn Kota 4 bank 15amp per bank charger since Nov 08 & you can't beat it