HB Units

joeim8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

HB Units

Post by joeim8 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:54 pm

Hello all,

I am currently looking to upgrade my electronics.

I have decided on the Hbird 898c si combo for the console but still do not know what to get for the T-motor.

A couple questions I have are...

1. Is there really any need for Side imaging at the T-Motor?
2. If I just keep my Lowrance hds5 at the tmotor will I have any problems as far as running one lowrance one HB/
3. The 2 untis I was looking at for the T-motor were the HB 798ci si Combo and the 788 ci HD di combo .....any opinions on which would be better thay are about the same price and I think the 798 also comes with di anyway but i am not sure.

thanks for any input guys

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: HB Units

Post by Seph » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:23 pm

There are a lot of good options, but I would hope you are planning on tethering devices?
http://www.humminbird.com/LeftSideWireF ... 74&id=1678

as far as SI on the trolling motor. If you fish vertical in deeper water all the time then...probably not something you HAVE to have....but if you work docks, heavy cover, or banks, I think SI can be a great addition on a trolling motor.
Last edited by Seph on Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: HB Units

Post by jeb » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:00 am

I use SI on the TM all the time. Very valuable fishing tool for seeing trees, rocks, fish, etc off to each side. I have it switched on a lot in the deeper reservoirs that I fish (Beaver, Table Rock, etc). I highly recommend the 798 up front. Main reason is the screen brightness. It is extremely direct sunlight viewable. The 898 and 998 are terrible in that category. I need a sunshield on my 997 (same exact screen/power as the 998) at the console to be able to view it in any kind of direct sun. You'll be wanting one of those for your 898, too.

But the 798 is very bright, so no problems with it. It also has the most pixel's per inch of any other depth finder display, including the top of the line 1198 or any of the Low units. Great little unit. I have almost 1300 hours on my 798 and it's been flawless so far (knock on wood and all that).