trolling motor upgrade

illinoisbassfishin
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

trolling motor upgrade

Post by illinoisbassfishin » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:19 am

I am looking to purchase a 98 ranger 461vs and right now it has a 24 volt variable speed johnson trolling motor which I have no idea what lb thrust it is or how well it will work in the wind. I am thinking about buying a new trolling motor to upgrade but I'm not sure what motor to get. I have narrowed it down to a minn kota maxxum or a fortrex, but I'm not sure if I should get with an 80 lb or a 101 lb thrust. I am not made of money and saving money is always a plus. I'm not sure if the 80 will work good enough if it's windy (say 15-30 mph winds) or if I should spend the extra money to get the 101 and spend the extra money to get another battery as well. Heck maybe the Johnson on it is good enough that I wouldn't even need a new trolling motor?? Any opinions on the subject would be appreciated. Thank you.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: trolling motor upgrade

Post by USA-RET » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:42 am

Definitely try the boat with the trolling motor it has. You may need to do nothing at all. 80lb thrust on 19 foot boat should be plenty. It is always better to have more power and not need it than the other way around., but 101lbs of thrust seems like over kill to me.

If you are talking 30 MPH winds you should be cranking up the big motor and heading for the marina anyway IMO. :lol:

Just my $.02 :D
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

Hyintegrity
Angler
Angler

Post by Hyintegrity » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:26 am

The power of the trolling motor depends on what type of fishing you like to do? I had a 15 ft aluminum tracker at one point and I put a 65lb maxxum on that boat to get through weeds and slop.

Currently I have an 80 lb maxxum on my 18' Avalanche. Which is plenty of motor to go through anything on the lakes here in Wisconsin.

The next thing you want to consider with the 80 lb vs. 101lb is that when you go to 101 lb that will be a 36 volt system and not a 24 volt system.

I do agree, it is better to have more power than not enough.

Weedsnager
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Weedsnager » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:53 am

You'll never say that you have to much power in a trolling motor, get the biggest you can afford.

FrancoCialone
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by FrancoCialone » Sun May 06, 2012 2:29 pm

You can never have enough trolling motor , go with the 101 lb., you won't regret it !