Humminbird 798ci SI Combo or HD?

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Humminbird 798ci SI Combo or HD?

Post by l2yan » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:16 pm

Can anyone compare the two and explain if there is any real big difference them? I'm looking to pick one up. There is only a $50 price difference on tacklewarehouse.com, but the lesser of the 2 can be had for much less elsewhere. The problem is I'm always looking for the best, and I don't want to choose the cheaper one if it doesn't provide a satisfying experience..

Thanks!
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Humminbird 798ci SI Combo or HD?

Post by jeb » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:36 am

The biggest difference is that the HD has an ethernet port on the back. That allows you to hook it up to other HB units that also have ethernet ports (898, 998, 1198) so they can share information. Saves you having to buy a device from HB that was need to hook up older units together.

Otherwise, the screen is the same, processor is the same, etc. They started including the HD in the name just to indicate that the 798 has the highest pixel count per inch of ANY fish finder on the market.

I own the older version, without the ethernet port. I have something over 1300 hours on it now and it's been flawless. Very direct sunlight viewable, more so than any other HB unit except the 1198. Makes it a great unit to have up front as you can see it easily all the time.

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Humminbird 798ci SI Combo or HD?

Post by l2yan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:04 am

jeb wrote:The biggest difference is that the HD has an ethernet port on the back. That allows you to hook it up to other HB units that also have ethernet ports (898, 998, 1198) so they can share information. Saves you having to buy a device from HB that was need to hook up older units together.

Otherwise, the screen is the same, processor is the same, etc. They started including the HD in the name just to indicate that the 798 has the highest pixel count per inch of ANY fish finder on the market.

I own the older version, without the ethernet port. I have something over 1300 hours on it now and it's been flawless. Very direct sunlight viewable, more so than any other HB unit except the 1198. Makes it a great unit to have up front as you can see it easily all the time.
Awesome, thanks so much jeb. Exactly the info I was looking for. :D
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org