Side-Imaging - Is it worth the dough?

Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Side-Imaging - Is it worth the dough?

Post by Gblaze » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:54 pm

Hey Guys- Was hoping I could get some straight shooting on everybodies experience with side imaging. I was on the fence about wether it is worth the extra investment -

Also- does any body know of a good website that can serve as a tutorial on the topic.

Many Thanks

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Side-Imaging - Is it worth the dough?

Post by SPAZ » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:36 am

The technology is great. It's pretty amazing marking structure and schools of fish 50 feet away from your boat. That being said, it really depends on how you like to fish. If you are a shallow water fisherman who fishes docks or likes to pitch and flip a lot, it probably won't have much value for you. If you fish lakes with the need to fish off-shore and deep water then I would say side-imaging has significant value. If you are already have Lowrance HDS electronics then the cost of getting side-imaging won't be as much as you needing to upgrade multiple electronics and such to get it.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:57 am

I'd say definitely yes. I bought an 898 few months ago but haven't got to play with it much yet unfortunately. If you tournament fish all it takes is finding the right ledge or brushpile and you could heal up in a hurry. Go to bassboatcentral.com. There's plenty of info there.

Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Gblaze » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:34 am

Thanks for the re-direct- Ill check that site out.

I mix it up- I am in lakes that provide both types of options. Deep and shallow fishing. I dont have a GPS unit and was gonna upgrade anyway- so I am contemplating should I go all the way or not :?:

chasenbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chasenbass » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:55 am

Yes it is! Very nice to see a 15 lb bass up near some cover and toss a swimbait to it.....it works! \:D/

Cpark
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cpark » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:01 pm

I would be lost without it now. I've run it since the very first HB hit the market, actually a while before they actually officially released them. My opinion on them is it is the only thing you will ever buy that will instantly make you a better fisherman. The stuff is flat amazing; if it is installed properly, that is everything. Installation is key with these and so far everyone I've heard complain about them I've found a setup problem on their boat.

When I got my very first one I won enough money to pay for it, a front gps unit and a 101 lb thrust MK trolling motor the very first weekend on a lake where my goal was to just catch a fish and get some points. I finished 4th, my co-angler won his division, and I fished a team tourney the next day by myself and won it. Paid for everything and then some in one weekend. Now, I don't even see how you could seriously compete without one.

They are just as useful in shallow water as they are in deep. You can find stumps and logs that you would not have seen without it. I consider it the most important piece of fishing equipment on the boat by far.

Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Gblaze » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:38 pm

Thanks C-park
I have decided to take the plunge - but the installation issue you mentioned has me tentative. Is there a website that explains this in detail?