All Ceramic vs Orange Seals ABEC 7

watergremlin
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

All Ceramic vs Orange Seals ABEC 7

Post by watergremlin » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:49 am

Is there a significant increase in performance between the two? It seems that for and extra $40 smackers, the all ceramics seem like a good buy.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: All Ceramic vs Orange Seals ABEC 7

Post by lpquick » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:33 am

I use full ceramics in a few of my reels, the positives being never having to worry about corrosion. My issues are they are all only abec5 and I have found a few where the tolerances between the partsI are so sloppy causing issues like binding or at the least a bad gear like feelings to the retrieve. Another issue is Boca doesn’t make full ceramics in 3x8x4 you have to go to TG Rockets to get that size and TG Rockets don’t make a 3x10x4. My last concern is noise, they are loud even over time they are still loud. Most of the hybrids start out a little noisy and become quieter over time. I have just about every high quality bearing available to compare and my favorites over all of them are still ZPI sic hybrids from Japan. I just started using Hedgehogs new Air bearings so the jury is still out on them. ZPI are the quietest they aren’t Abec rated but if they were they would be in the Abec9 class like Hedgehog (IMHO), after a good ultrasonic cleaning they will free spin with the best of them and just seem to outperform all the others so far. I have ZPI sic hybrid non rated, TG Rockets Abec5 full ceramic & sic hybrid Abec7, Hedgehog Air non rated sic, Boca Mil Abec9, OS hybrid & Abec5 sic full ceramic & Isutami non rated full ceramic & hybrid bearings.
I rate ZPI #1
Boca Mil Abec9 hybrids #2
TG Rockets hybrid Abec7 #3
Boca OS hybrid Abec7 #4
Boca Abec5 full ceramic & TG Rockets Abec5 full ceramics #5
All bearings including full ceramics are shieldless if they came with shields I removed them for ease of cleaning and keeping them lubed (Hedgehog Air are open on one side).
I know it’s all subjective and I have adjusted my thoughts on this a few times over the years but this is where I stand on the subject at the present. I also have a few different high cost bearing oils like, ZPI zero friction, Hedgehog Alchemy, ReelX. Xtreme reel +. Oust, Quantum Hot sauce, TSI 301, Diaw red & blue and Shimano.
Currently I like Alchemy the best with ZPI zero friction a close second, Xtreme reel + 3rd & Oust 4th.
I do have to reapply every other trip but it only takes about a minute or two to reapply so it’s no big deal. I don’t use TSI on hybrid or ceramics, only on full metal bearings (mostly stock bearings) and it lasts the longest. I have thought about purchasing their lubricant which is safe for use with plastics TSI 341 I think it’s called, just never got around to it yet. TSI 301 is really good and lasts the longest if it was safe for plastics it might be the best IMO.
I apologize for going :offtopic:

In response to your question if you don’t mind the noise and losing a little in total distance and your reel isn’t finicky on bearing tolerances they might be the last bearings you’ll ever need to buy for that reel. Full ceramics come with shields on both sides from Boca & TG Rockets so removing them is something you’ll need to do if you want to go shieldless. Removing shields is easy IMO but it’s something you should know.

watergremlin
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by watergremlin » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:25 am

Thank you LP, really nice write up.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:18 pm

Great info on the full ceramics.Whick type did you purchase from Boca? Im interested in buying some for my 50e but unsure which kind to get.I see them going for $49, $63, and $70 a piece,was thinking of getting the $63 but not sure its worth it, dont really see a diff. in specs,maybe just in tolerances.Also are they seals like the orange seals or shields with a retainer? Thanks

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:48 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:Great info on the full ceramics.Whick type did you purchase from Boca? Im interested in buying some for my 50e but unsure which kind to get.I see them going for $49, $63, and $70 a piece,was thinking of getting the $63 but not sure its worth it, dont really see a diff. in specs,maybe just in tolerances.Also are they seals like the orange seals or shields with a retainer? Thanks
http://www.bocabearings.com/explorers/r ... lorer.html
The seals are not like the OS, they are a kind of plastic (single piece per side). You have to be careful when removing them because they will easily come apart. A couple pairs did on me and I had to return them to get replacements and since they are made out of country (UK I think) they had to be ordered which took more time. I bought mine when they were on sale so I don’t remember the cost per pair except they were just under $100.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:11 am

Thanks a lot,once again great info.Thats definately something to think about with the seals.Guess I will just get the middle ones without seals then so I dont have to worry about that. Thanks for the help.