Boca High Speed Oil vs. Rem Oil?

jim spooner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Boca High Speed Oil vs. Rem Oil?

Post by jim spooner » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:03 am

I’ve seen various viscosity charts for reel oils, but none include Boca’s high Speed Oil. Anyone know how the High Speed oil’s viscosity would compare to the others. I’ve heard that the High Speed’s viscosity is around 18.75, but can’t verify it.
I’ve used both Rem Oil (with Boca’s OS brgs.) and the High Speed Oil and the Rem Oil seems to allow greater bearing speeds, so I suspect that the High Speed oil is significantly higher viscosity.

Native
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Boca High Speed Oil vs. Rem Oil?

Post by Native » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:58 am

Don't know if you've seen this chart but it's worth looking at for the comparison of the Boca Bearing Viscosity, hope it helps!

jim spooner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jim spooner » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:00 am

That's one of the charts I was referring to. No "High Speed Oil" on it.

Native
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Native » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:30 am

jim spooner wrote:That's one of the charts I was referring to. No "High Speed Oil" on it.
True but assuming the Boca High Speed Oil viscosity is approx. 18.75 at least gives you rough idea of wear it falls out with other lubricants. Also, this link verifies your suspicions of it's viscosity: http://www.bocabearings.com/productDeta ... emID=13931

Also found this in a post from CoastTackleService.com:

"High Speed Oil Lightning Lube in a 12cc syringe. Ideal lubrication for any application that requires a very thin and lightweight oil for minimal friction and reduced drag. Operating temperature of -50°F to +400°F and a viscosity of 1875/9CS.

Very simular to TDZ from Diawa and the viscosity is in between Hot Sauce and TG Yellow

I stock it in the shop for $9.95 or you can buy from Boca at the same price. This oil comes in a Syringe which is great for putting the right amount precisely where you want it."

Don't know how much this helps but the guy is a Boca dealer.

jim spooner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jim spooner » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:30 am

Thanks Native. I guess bottom line is the Rem Oil has less drag on the bearings due to its low viscosity. The High Speed may offer slightly more protection over the long run.

Native
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Native » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:52 am

I've been using the X+1R which was acquired by Penn, and is now sold under their name, in addition to the Rem oil and find I don't need to reapply as frequently with the Penn oil (synthetic). I was using the Rem oil on my Pluton which I use for larger swimbaits and I'm guessing because of the higher sustained RPM's the spool bearings would start to scream every other week or so if I didn't use something I little higher in viscosity. The Penn oil seems to be just right for me; fast bearing speeds (apparently); lower wear and tear (no more screaming bearings); and less frequent applications. Just something to consider ...