First time using OC do i need to oil

Flathead
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

First time using OC do i need to oil

Post by Flathead » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:47 pm

So ordering orange seals today and wondering if I should oil them ( I am going to remove the seals for installation )
Does it make a difference if I oil or not. I Usually use the ceramic Abec 5's but gonna give OC a go instead.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: First time using OC do i need to oil

Post by Nitroman77 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:10 am

It's good to to oil with ONE SMALL drop..
Calms them down and cools them..

under cover
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by under cover » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:22 am

i do it mainly to quiet them, unless that wispy sound they make running dry doesn't bother you...

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:27 am

Run them dry they will cast further they quite down on their own I just add a drop of oil at the end of the fishing season for storage purposes then I flushed them out before I start using the again and run the dry.
ceramics don't heat up like SS just like if you have ceramic pads on your brake shoes of your car.

jim spooner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jim spooner » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:25 am

When I first installed my orange seals in all my reels several years ago, I used Rem Oil and then switched to Hot Sauce, thinking it was better. After being advised by Larry at Boca that the Hot Sauce was detrimental to their performance (he advised Rem Oil or their High Speed oil), I flushed the bearings, applied the High Speed Oil and saw a dramatic improvement. I guess I never noticed that the Hot Sauce was gradually building up and causing drag on the bearings. I’ve since switched back to Rem oil, which is a much lower viscosity and is even better.