Boca OS vs shielded

Rfdong
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Boca OS vs shielded

Post by Rfdong » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:22 pm

What's the performance difference between OS and the hybrids? Both abec 7 seems liKe most go OS But WHY? Thanks

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Boca OS vs shielded

Post by lpquick » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:51 pm

Easier to clean and lube (maintain), most remove the OS before installing them. I have 9 high dollar bait casters and fish Inshore and run all my spool bearings open on both sides (no shields).

under cover
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by under cover » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:46 pm

i also run my boca spool bearings open as well. i maintain those bearings a lot throughout the season so for me it makes flushing easier.

Rfdong
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rfdong » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:49 pm

Any performance downside to leaving the shields on? And if I leave on, do you have to remove to flush? Seems like the more you remove the more you might damage seals anyways. Sorry for all the questions but that's why I'm asking the experts :D

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:23 pm

It’s possible for the bearings to rub against the OS reducing free spin. If you decide to leave them on you can like any bearing with shields flush them but it is more difficult, just soaking them in a glass of carb cleaner or acetone won’t get them clean. You’ll need to flush them with a bearing cleaner/packer or use an ultrasonic cleaner.

Rfdong
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rfdong » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:45 pm

Thanks!

f15h1n6
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by f15h1n6 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:22 am

lpquick wrote:It’s possible for the bearings to rub against the OS reducing free spin. If you decide to leave them on you can like any bearing with shields flush them but it is more difficult, just soaking them in a glass of carb cleaner or acetone won’t get them clean. You’ll need to flush them with a bearing cleaner/packer or use an ultrasonic cleaner.
Great info! I'm thinking about getting some abec 7 for my reel. I don't care too much for free spool so I will probably leave the os on for awhile and then remove the so after several months to test the difference. Now you mentioned ultrasonic cleaner, would an ultrasonic toothbrush work? If so, do I brush the inside of the bearings while toothbrush is on?