rusted boca

jlb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

rusted boca

Post by jlb » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:30 pm

i installed abec 7 os bearings in my curado 50e a month ago and have used the reel twice, took it out this weekend and the spool was locked up. took it apart and realized that the bearing in the tension knob was rusted to the spool shaft. i had to tap the spool out with a pin and there is visible damage on the spool shaft. i have soaked the bearing in brake cleaner and it still will not spin smooth. please help.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: rusted boca

Post by lpquick » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:49 pm

If there’s rust on the racers or the bearing cage your bearing is toast it needs to be replaced. I have to ask if you fished in saltwater the last two time you used the reel. If you did, did you at least rinse the reel down in fresh water after each outing. Depending on the amount of damage to the spool you have a slight chance that removing the rust will return the reel to working order, but if the spool shaft dimension where it fits into the bearing and makes contact has changed, you’ll need to also replace the spool. If it badly rusted the integrity of the spool shaft might be compromised and I would recommend replacing the spool. Hope this helps. If you don’t have any get some Reel X oil, I like it’s rust preventative qualities.

jlb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jlb » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:59 pm

one trip was in brackish and i did rinse the reel. I have bocas in a few reels and have never seen them rust.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:22 pm

I use Boca OS in some of my reels and I fish inshore only. I admit to really taking good care of my stuff, but even so to have a seized bearing only one month even after use in brackish water it shouldn’t be having issues. I would contact Boca and see what they say. With all that said, sometime if the bearing took on brackish water, just rinsing the exterior portion of the reel isn’t enough. I check after each outing if the bearings are spinning free and it takes only seconds to a few minutes to add a drop of oil to the spool bearings depending on the reel. Then a day or two later when I have time I’ll inspect clean and lube as needed. I also went out of the way and purchased some full ceramic spool bearings which eliminates rust as an issue, you just have to keep them clean of debris. They are pretty loud so I oil them alot to keep the sound down. I have been told that with a little time as they break in they will quiet down. Let us know how it works out.

bocabearingslarry
Angler
Angler

Post by bocabearingslarry » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:14 am

Sorry to hear that you had a problem with one of our OS bearings. Get in touch with me at larry @ bocabearings.com and I will get you out another one - Its hard to say why you got accelerated corrosion like that. If you're going to fish in saltwater/brackish water we recommend you keeping the spool bearings oiled with the seals on. The oil will prevent accelerated corrosion and you will get the same type performance compared to running them dry. Get in touch with me.

Larry

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:59 am

wow thats good service =D> =D> =D> =D>

jlb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jlb » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:02 pm

Great service! I set you an email. I did have the seals on i love using the bearings just want to know how to prevent the problem

bocabearingslarry
Angler
Angler

Post by bocabearingslarry » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:37 pm

email received and email returned. :D

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:37 pm

=D> =D>
Bocas the best!

jlb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jlb » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:18 pm

Got my replacement bearing in the other day. Excellent service! Thanks larry!

mikezho
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mikezho » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:40 pm

Never see such a problem but boca rocks.