Has something changed ?

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Has something changed ?

Post by Pegasus » Sat May 05, 2012 11:37 am

Hi Larry
I recently purchased a set of Orange Seals for my Chronarch 101 D7
After taking the seals off I noticed that they look a little different than a set I purchased a year ago.
The little ceramic balls of the previous set are much darker in color. The ones I recently got look silver.Have you guys changed something ? because they are much louder than my previous set and don't seem to run as smooth. The only difference I did is that I didn't flush this set before installing them, but i am still running the same Oust oil from Smooth Drag.
Please advice

Regards
Pegasus

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Has something changed ?

Post by Nitroman77 » Wed May 09, 2012 7:23 am

The new style bearings as I assume you got the ones with the double ribbons on them with less/bigger balls?
They shouldnt be louder or run worse as the new bearings IMO are better then the old ones..
Try flushing them and see what happens. Ill forward this to Larry..

Trey
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

bocabearingslarry
Angler
Angler

Post by bocabearingslarry » Wed May 09, 2012 8:15 am

Hey Pegasus,

Sorry to hear you are having some issues with the bearings, but I will help you trouble shoot them and get your reel spinning good. Like Nitroman said, try flushing them first and run them dry with the seals off, let me know how they spin. Regarding the color of the ceramic balls, depending on the ceramic material some balls will be different colors than other batches of bearings. Since we receive thousands of bearings at one time from the factory, the color may be slightly different from time to time. As long as the balls are dark in color they are ceramic.

Try to say away from any type of oil product that claims to "bond" or add a "layer" of protection to the bearing. In hybrid ceramic bearings since the balls are non metallic and harder/denser than steel, that type of oil will not be able to penetrate the ceramic balls and ends up gumming up the inside of the bearing making them run ruff. I'm not going to get in to specific product names here, but you can always email me and I will tell you what to stay away from. The ceramic balls have very low friction and can be run dry unlike metallic balls. They really only need 1 or 2 drops max in there, anything more than that is overkill. You can always email me at larry - at - bocabearings dot com and I will help you out. Let me know.
Team Boca Bearings
http://www.bocabearings.com

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Thu May 10, 2012 9:34 am

Hi Larry
The bearing I received are not dark in color they are stainless steel silver like nitroman says they have less bigger bearings.
Yes I took them out of my reel again and flushed them in Butane fluid for about 12 hours so they dried clean with
no film if I run the dry they are very noisy so I added 1 small drop of oust oil I know the label says that it acts s a bonding material but the oil itself is very light and besides a lot of people on the forum use it with no issues but I will buy something else maybe like Arden bearing lube which I don't believe has that bonding agent you mentioned.
But the color of the bearing I repeat is not dark its silver so what does that mean?

Regards

bocabearingslarry
Angler
Angler

Post by bocabearingslarry » Thu May 10, 2012 10:07 am

Thanks for calling in. I have another set going out to you today no charge. Let me know how they work out for you.
Team Boca Bearings

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Fri May 11, 2012 6:53 pm

Thank You Larry
You are a real gentleman and I can't say enough about Boca Bearing ,more companies should take noticed and follow
the example.
Thank you again Larry.

Regards
Pegasus

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Sun May 20, 2012 9:47 am

Hi Larry
I got the bearings I flushed them out like you said and installed the dry.
I am so sorry to say that I don't know what it is with the new Boca Orange Seals they just don't perform
like the old do.
I looked at a set that I got I think last year the color is dark the balls are smaller and there is more of them
the new ones have less balls and they are bigger and for sure a different color.
I really appreciate that you sent me another set if you want I will return it to you only thing that the seals are off
but I can put them in the bag.
I would like to get a credit back on my Visa Card if you don't mind I am really sorry but today I went on the water
with a new chronarch D7 the original shimano ABEC3 were definitely casting smoother and further I mean the whole idea behind the upgrade to Orange Seals is the castability and distance it just didn't happen with these.
The set I got last year after I flushed them out were and still are superb I just don't know what to say.
Please let me know.

bocabearingslarry
Angler
Angler

Post by bocabearingslarry » Mon May 21, 2012 6:55 am

Sorry you are having trouble with the bearings. I really can't figure out what issues you are having with the bearings especially when I checked those bearings out myself before we shipped them out to you. You can send the bearings back and I will refund you 100%. Boca Bearings stands by our products 100% and we want to make sure our customers are 100% satisfied or we'll refund your money. email me at larry - at - bocabearings dot com so I can get an RA# for you. Please return the original set and the replacement set I sent to you. If you have any questions just let me know.

Larry
Team Boca Bearings