Doing something wrong?

Ub2m4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Doing something wrong?

Post by Ub2m4 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:14 am

The more I read the less I seem to know. I have Boca OS #7. After reading I understood that it was best to take off the orange seals. I took off both sides, right or wrong? I then cleaned them overnight with simple green, right or wrong? I then put them in acetone 12 hrs, right or wrong? Then air dried 24 hrs. They spun wonderfully and then I put 1drop of TG yellow rocket oil on each bearing, right or wrong? The spin did slow but I them put them in my Shimano Scorpion 1001. Free spooling 25 seconds. Set the spool aside for 1week and today rechecked it. Free spooling has decreased and when I pulled the bearings they barely spun. Soaked them in acetone 2hrs and then compressed air them dry and replace in reel without oil and was genuinely pleased. But I read today almost everyone is recomending oil. What am I doing wrong? Thank you.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Doing something wrong?

Post by cst » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:36 am

Removing the seals might be introducing too much dirt into the bearing and slowing it down.

I've done the bearing thing on two different occasions though so I have very little experience.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:29 pm

Well the bearings will slow with oil and no load to them.. Have you actually tried casting the reel with the bearings installed?
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

Ub2m4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ub2m4 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:59 pm

Nitroman, I live in Northern Michigan and have not been out casting. Taking that out, am I doing any thing wrong? Also is it normal after being cleaned and spinning well and put back in the reel and on the shelf 1 week.

pro reel
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by pro reel » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:48 pm

UB, more than likley what happened is that the oil puddled into the bottom of the bearing after sitting. That would haave coated those balls enough to slow the free spin. If you would have casted the reel, it would have flung the oil back around and it would have been fine. That being said, to get the most performance from a ceramic hybrid, you have to run them dry with the seals removed. That would be fine if the reel never got wet or if you cleaned the bearings very often to keep them from corroding. Most folks won't or don't want to have to do that, so the stainless parts fo the bearing need some protection. The trick is to get that protection without slowing down the bearins. Yellow rocket fuel oil is great for stainless bearings. They need an oil that will stay there for a long time and provide lubrication. The ceramic hybrids don't need lubrication, they only need a small amount of corrosion protection. Therefore, you want to use the thinnest oil you can get. That would be torunament rocket fuel or remington gun oil. Both of those are very very thin. The tournament rocket fuel has a viscosity of 3 where as the yeloow is in the 40's. I put a small drop of tournament on the outside of the bearings and coat it with my fingers, I thein put a very saml drop on the inner cage and spin it. That work very good but I'm planning on buying a spray can of rem oil and trying that. I plan to spin the bearing and then give it a quick spray with the rem oil to see if i can get a better caoting with a minimal amount of oil.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:30 am

Ub2m4 wrote:Nitroman, I live in Northern Michigan and have not been out casting. Taking that out, am I doing any thing wrong? Also is it normal after being cleaned and spinning well and put back in the reel and on the shelf 1 week.
Ive got my reels sitting on the shelf right now and I just cleaned them up..Ive got about 22 reels that have upgraded bearings and I try to every week spin them to keep everything moving so nothing drys up/pools..
A couple flings of the handle to get the spool and worm moving is what Ive been doing..
Thank God its going to be warm this week so I can get out and fish for the first time this year.. 8-)
As Pro reel stated the oil could have pooled at the bottom of the bearing instead of coating the whole bearing when in Use..
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats