Electric Boat Trailer Brakes

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Electric Boat Trailer Brakes

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:57 pm

Looking for marine electric brakes. Did some research and didnt really find what I was looking for.

I have a 88-92ish Stratos trailer with non-working hydraulic "slam brakes". If im gonna put money into the brakes, I would like to take advantage of the brake controller my truck has.

Have any of you used or came across electric boat trailer brakes? Also, have you installed them.

Thanks
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

theo
Angler
Angler

Re: Electric Boat Trailer Brakes

Post by theo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:34 am

I have installed them, best thing I ever did with that boat. Can't remember brand etc but pretty simple install and make so much more sense that surge brakes.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:40 pm

theo wrote:I have installed them, best thing I ever did with that boat. Can't remember brand etc but pretty simple install and make so much more sense that surge brakes.
Thanks a lot. You know where you got them or a ballpark to how much they cost? I got a tandem axel trailer if it matters.

shadybanks
Angler
Angler

Post by shadybanks » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:19 pm

I replaced the corroded up hydraulic brakes with electric drum brakes on my boat trailer when I bought it about ten years ago.

It is a tandem trailer and they have worked out great. I do have to remember to dial down the controller when I go to back the boat to launch it.

I think I used Etrailer.com for all of the parts and used self adjusting brakes.

theo
Angler
Angler

Post by theo » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:09 am

I got mine at a local trailer supply place, but they are pretty easily found, sorry that's not much help.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:17 am

theo wrote:I got mine at a local trailer supply place, but they are pretty easily found, sorry that's not much help.
Every little bit helps. There are a few local places near me I can check out. I prefer to install myself to save money and get that "DIY high" people get.