Winterize?

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Winterize?

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:50 pm

I have a Mercury 25hp 2 stroke with a 6 gallon tank, the tank is almost empty but was wondering what would be the
best way to store it.
I have heard of filling the tank and adding stabil.

Since my tank is almost empty, could I just add stabil run the motor and fog the engine, then Drain the gearcase and
refill it and basically be done.

Then in spring just take the old fuel (less then a gallon) and have it disposed of in case any condensation has developed?

Basically just running stabil into the engine to keep it good to go....

Or would it be best to run the engine completely out of fuel and get rid of the gas that I have now.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Winterize?

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:11 pm

I'll try to help. Don't live in subfreezing but do know 2 strokes quite well. I would suggest not crossing fingers on stabilizer. It's not for winterizing. Drain the tank and run the motor dry. Let it idle until is stalls then drain the float if you're capable. Pull the plugs and blast some good old wd40 in the cylinder, reinstall the plugs to force compression with with caps removed, and turn it over as if starting for 10 seconds or so (but you don't want spark hence no caps installed) to mix it around. Then reinstall the caps. Wrap your carb with good old plastic wrap you'd find in your kitchen, the stuff you cover food with, and secure it with duct tape to keep air tight as possible and eliminate moisture entry. This may seem crazy to some but it's cheap and it'll work.

Of note, automotive products here in Cali are not what's offered elsewhere around the country. IF you in fact have a 'stabilizer' available for 'winterizing' then go for it. Might exist, I really don't know. If so, double check it's good with premix. Good luck.
PEACE

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:59 am

Thanks for your help Good Year 71.

I ran stabil through the motor and then ran it dry as possible.
I still have some gas in my tank but I will have to drain it completely soon, I also found some stabil fogging oil for a good
price, I removed the plugs and sprayed like you explained.

Good to go.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:39 pm

I had a 99 Mercury 2 stroke on my old boat that I just kept stabilizer and a little seafoam in the tank over the winter. But, I keep my boat parked in the garage and live near 2 power plant lakes, so I usually take the boat out a couple of times during the winter.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious