Better than traditional trolling motor...2 lbs motor!

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Better than traditional trolling motor...2 lbs motor!

Post by ultralight » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:30 pm

This for the smaller portable watercrafts such as Kayaks, SUPs, smaller pontoons etc. I've been using a Torqeedo motor for some years. It really is much more advanced technology than all other traditional trolling motors. Of course, it also cost the proverbial arm and leg because then run $1500 and up - most are about $2k. BUT in a 24lb package including battery, I can troll in my kayak for about 8 hours at trolling speed with two people plus fishing equipment. The technology includes brushless motors which is much higher efficiency and lithium ion batteries which are much lighter and do not mind full discharge. Other than cost, they simply can't be matched.

I just saw a motor out of a manufacturer in San Diego and have chat with the creator. It's full blown ready to go and I think is very close to Torqeedo's efficiency but cost a bit less than half. The motor itself weighs only about 2 lbs -with external battery and can be adapted to scuba diving etc. They have worked closely with Hobie who is also out of San Diego. IT's called 'Bixpy Jet'.

I don't get anything out of this post but you can check it out if you are curious at

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bi ... escription

I plan to transit from Torqeedo to this for my kayaks. Given its weight, I can even use it for my 4 lbs inflatable Advanced Elements Packlite when hiking into the sierras.

UL

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Better than traditional trolling motor...2 lbs motor!

Post by ultralight » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:38 am

For what it's worth, they are posted on Indiegogo. Going well at over $128K. I know that a number kayak manufacturers are looking at this seriously.

https://igg.me/at/bixpy/x/15078125

If you go through the link above and support, let me know and I'll sport you $50 credit for their products. No, I'm not affiliated them other than being a supporter but they are giving some referrel credits. Contact me after the project is over and funded and I'll have them do the $50 for you.

TT, if the last paragraph is not OK, let me know and I'll strike it. Thanks!