Motorguide tour edition 82lb on 12 volt?

crankmaniac
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Motorguide tour edition 82lb on 12 volt?

Post by crankmaniac » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:46 am

Right now i have a minnkota edge 45 lb on my 15 foot alumiium boat for a year now, this trolling motor give me so much trouble during that time that i just want to put it in the garbage. I have look to the motorguide x3, it seem to be good but just to much plastic to my taste so i am now much more interest to the motor guide tour edition 82lb but i want to known if i can put this trolling motor on one 12volt battery? I dont need the full 82lb trust of that trolling motor.

Demoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Motorguide tour edition 82lb on 12 volt?

Post by Demoman » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:10 pm

With a decrease in Voltage, the amperage would go up. This would cause more heat at the motor, which I would think *could* be hard on it if used alot. Imo, I don't think it's a good idea. Would it work? Yeh it would work but why do that when [s]minn kota[/s] MG makes a 12v one called a bull dog that has 54lbs of thrust. I own and operate it on a 14ft jon. I've been running it for 6 years now and it's a solid performer. I also run a 24v 82 lb thrust MG PT on my Skeeter and its amazing as well. I personally don't think its a good idea to run a 24volt designed system on 12 volts. You'd be creating more amperage pull causing more heat and imo not a good thing.
Last edited by Demoman on Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

crankmaniac
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by crankmaniac » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:40 pm

Thank you for the reply, i will take no chance and probebly purchase the motorguide x3 45lb. I think the bull dog is made by motorguide not minn kota.

Demoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Demoman » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:20 am

crankmaniac wrote:Thank you for the reply, i will take no chance and probebly purchase the motorguide x3 45lb. I think the bull dog is made by motorguide not minn kota.
Im sorry, yes its made by MG. Whoops. And I can vouch that it is a tough unit, if you can get a bow mount for it. I run mine on a MG Tour bow mount. Awesome setup for small boats.