losing rods off the deck of the boat...

MRQturbo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

losing rods off the deck of the boat...

Post by MRQturbo » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:20 am

for all you lucky bass boat owners....have you ever lost any rods off the deck of the boat while you were moving from one spot to the next??....are the straps that hold down the rods really secure.....are there any other options available to hold down the rods besides for these deck straps?...

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: losing rods off the deck of the boat...

Post by KlingerNOK » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:21 am

I've never lost any rods going across the lake but I have lost a few at rest by knocking them off the deck :cry:
I have the retractable straps on my Triton and then I also added the Rod Tamer elastic type strap to go over the reels at the bow.
The rods just don't move around with two straps across them.
If you are in really big rough water and you spear a wave, I don't think any strap would work well in those conditions. Your best bet would be to put them in the locker in those conditions and I try not to put myself in that kind of situation on purpose.
Just making a quick run from place to place to fish in "normal"conditions, about any decent strap ought to keep your rods on deck.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:46 am

never lost a rod going 74 down the lake..
The straps hold them pretty tight to the deck and the ones on the TM side dont flinch since the TM blocks most of the wind

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:11 am

I've never lost one. My boat came with some very good straps on both sides of the deck and I added one at the passenger rod rack that works great as well. I like Velcro straps that have a buckle to put the strap through.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:50 am

If I every saw a rod go overboard.. id go overboard right behind it!

Jeremy S
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jeremy S » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:30 am

Never running across the lake but I have lost 2 while fishing. One I threw in the lake because it was freezing cold and my hands were somewhat numb, I cast and just threw the whole thing in the water. The other just slipped out of my hand but I got that one back.

Anyphil7
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Anyphil7 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:56 am

Yeah, I lost two before I started taking the time to really strap them down before moving. The extra couple of seconds saved me a few dollars. If your straps aren't working too well, try strapping them down with another pair of straps.

paul19057
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by paul19057 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:55 am

I was fishing Oneida lake in the fall and was heading east along the north side of the lake from rt 81.
We get to the end of the islands and hit a wave that sent my champ 203 air borne and the next wave we speared , next thing you know about 2ft of water came over the whole boat.
When we got our wits about us I realized 2 st croix tournament rods and 2 sustain reels were missing.
I had the little rubber cord rod straps on the bow holding the rods down by the handles with the reels toward the console.
I did hit the MOB on my graph but we were in 30 ft of water .
Learned a good lesson , bought rod buckles.
Paul

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:56 am

My nitro is narrow on the bow so I only tend to have 2-4 rods out at one time max, rest are in the rod locker... i use a rod buckle and have never lost a rod.. and if i did, I would be going swimming..

Redlinerobert
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redlinerobert » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:25 am

I've never had that issue. Considering how stable these boats are, even if they weren't strapped down I think you'd be ok within reason.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:32 am

A guy in my club was going across the Potomac in a storm. The rod strap broke, and he lost his rods.

He made an insurance claim. The company researched the weather conditions at the time, and agreed that there was a storm.
He collected for the lost rods.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:35 pm

I dont think its possible for me to lose a rod when running...my little boat only does 15mph. :lol: But, it only burns 1/2gal at WOT per hour. :D Hey, it floats. \:D/
<")))><{

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:59 pm

I installed one of these on each side of my front deck, in the gunnels of my boat:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/BoatBuck ... BKROD.html

They hold great.

fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishballer06 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:28 am

I lost one about 20 years ago running down the lake because I forgot to strap the rod down. Jumped a wake and whenever I did that the rod stood itself up and the wind carried it right off the boat.

As a teenager with his first ever Curado, that image is still burned in my mind.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:30 am

We once lost a brand new St. Croix Legend Elite rod out of the non-boat rod area while making our morning run to begin a day of testing. The rod had the sleeve on it still and no reel, so the wind force just sucked it right out. We had no idea it was gone until we stopped at our first spot and went to gear up. That might have been JIP's last chance at reviewing St. Croix :lol: :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"