Over-wintering Batteries

mitchct
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Over-wintering Batteries

Post by mitchct » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:45 pm

Do you guys who can't fish 12 months a year but store your boats inside pull your batteries out of your boat, or leave them in place and use your on-board charger to keep them topped off/conditioned?

I can't fish for about four months during the winter. I have inside storage for my boat, the temperature is probably around 60 degrees in there. I pull my batteries out and store them on the floor on 2x4's in the same space, and use battery chargers to top them off and condition them every 3-4 weeks.

Is this overkill, or is it worth the extra effort to pull them out and put them back each year? I just finished my fifth season on my cranking battery and one of my deep-cycle batteries, so I guess I'm doing something right, but would be interested to know how others approach this.

Thanks in advance.

bh54lf
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Over-wintering Batteries

Post by bh54lf » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:26 pm

my boat is in a heated garage that I keep around 50..i keep the batteries in and throw them on the charger every few weeks to keep them topped off but don't take them out of the boat. im not sure what added benefits there would be to taking them out of the boat

what your doing may be overkill but whatever makes you feel most comfortable and confident is the best way to go...you don't want to second guess yourself on the water

scatter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by scatter » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:08 pm

My deep cycle that runs the minn kota is on charge whenever I'm not on the water including over Christmas while I'm away for 7 weeks. I was told this is the best way to keep the battery healthy and avoid sulphate build up. You're definitely not overdoing it.

flipperjig
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by flipperjig » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:05 am

There is no reason to pull your batteries. I leave mine in but I do disconnect them from the TM if it is going to be for the overwinter period here due to an incident I had several years ago.

Anyphil7
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Anyphil7 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:02 am

I would actually suggest at least disconnecting them. But, in my superstitious mind, I remove them and place them in my warm (er) basement. With my strategy, I have never had an issue getting started up once the ice thaws here.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:29 am

I use a 3 bank charger on my bassboat and have 4 years on a set of Walley World batteries. When I not using my regularly I put the charger on a timer for an hour a day. Never thought of disconnecting the trolling motor, great idea.