Batteries

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Batteries

Post by goldrod » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:09 pm

What kind and type of batteries are you guys using?
With all the new types of batteries out there, optima , oddessy just to name a couple manufactures, I would like to know what are you looking to buy and why and what are you currently using and how is it holding up?
Do you perfer the non water type and are you using it for cranking or for you trolling motor?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Batteries

Post by cjtoad » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:27 pm

I use the Cabela's Advanced Angler AGM Batteries. Two 27 series for the trolling motor and a 24 series for the Optimax and Lowrances. I get about 4 years out of a set and have never had any issues with them.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:36 am

Standard Interstate Marine. 4 years (trolling motor) and holding on one and 3 years (cranking) on the other.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

SC Bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SC Bassin » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:46 pm

Interstate marine deep cycle(3) size 27 trolling motor batteries still going strong. Came with the boat in Nov. 08. Just replaced the cranking battery in June. It was also a Interstate. :D

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:33 pm

Sears Die Hard AGM group 31 for motor and electronics. Three Interstate group 29 wet cell batteries for 36 volt Motorguide. If you are running modern electronics than I would go with the biggest AGM battery you can afford for your starting/accesories battery. Standard deep cycle wet cells are fine for the trolling motor.

cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cumara » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:14 am

Have used Interstate, Deka, Die Hard, Optima, Evertroll etc. Decided to made the larger investment in an Odyssey Trolling Thunder battery last year, in hopes that all the marketing claims would be true. It is about 1.5 years old and I'm only getting about half of the run time out of it now. Very disappointing for a battery that costs about 3 times as much...don't waste your money.

tomustang
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tomustang » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:08 am

4 cabelas AGM 27's. Wait until their on sale you get the best bang for buck

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re : Batteries

Post by goldrod » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:17 am

odessy,,,,, wow
good infomation here and possible money saver. In the recent BASSTImes there was an article on boat batteries
and some of the prices were insane. I am really considering an optima. I've had interstates and they were good for trolling motor but not for cranking and running electronics. I went to the walmart brand of batteries for tm when i was at the house and its and economical way and they perfrom just as good for t/m.
My biggest issue is electronics and cranking. I have an old TR196 with humminbirds and one lowrance and when I would crank up the units would shut off. There is nothing more annoying on the water.

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KlingerNOK » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:28 am

I've got the Sears PM-2 for my starting and it has been flawless for a couple years now. Over on BBC, there is a thread about what batteries Mercury has tested and recommends and the Sears PM1 & PM2 are the least expensive and seem to have the best reviews.
For TM batt's I use 3 of the Everstart 29's. I've never had one go out in less than 2 years, and I fish a lot.
For the money, they just can't be beat. If you have an issue, there's a Wally World in nearly every town to exchange them.
My buddy has had nothing but trouble with both Odyssey and Optima batteries and they are just stupid expensive.

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:08 am

Odyssey for trolling motor.

Antigravity for starting outboard. No, they are not cheap but light and starts every time. Flats skiffs need to stay light.

Heatstreak
Angler
Angler

Post by Heatstreak » Thu May 22, 2014 7:35 am

Anyone use a Braille LW battery?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu May 22, 2014 8:17 am

Never heard of that battery, i went with the PM battery from sears. You can get them to give you the online price which is a few dollars cheaper. Thats my cranking battery, who makes the BLW battery and what are your experiences with it?

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Thu May 22, 2014 9:07 pm

Braille LW are another lithium ion battery. Too much marketing hype but great batteries. Really cuts the weight for a cranking battery for the outboard/trolling motor. Get the proper charger, more critical in this situation or go cheap and see what happens.

Heatstreak
Angler
Angler

Post by Heatstreak » Fri May 23, 2014 5:16 am

Thor wrote:Braille LW are another lithium ion battery. Too much marketing hype but great batteries. Really cuts the weight for a cranking battery for the outboard/trolling motor. Get the proper charger, more critical in this situation or go cheap and see what happens.
Thanks for the advice