Opinion? 2000 Ranger 518vx

Hyintegrity
Angler
Angler

Opinion? 2000 Ranger 518vx

Post by Hyintegrity » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:12 pm

So, I have the opportunity to purchase a 2000 Ranger dvx with a Evinrude 200 hp ficht. for just over $11k.
I am really in a dilemma today after looking and driving it today. The boat mechanically is perfect.

A little history on this boat I am looking into, it is a former FLW tour boat. The boat's motor has ~400 hours on it. This is the Evinrude after bombardier had purchased evinrude. So from what I am reading the motor is pretty solid.

At first look the boat appears to be very used. Although the benefits is that everything appears to be working properly. There are very little scratches in the hull. The sides of the boat have minor scratches and some gouges in it from docking throughout the years.
There was a woodgrain finish on the boat that is in pretty rough shape. The woodgrain on the glovebox and instrument panel is peeling and fading. The seats are not in the best of shape.... Foam within the seats appears to be in good shape, although the seats are torn at the seams. Definitely in desperate need of an upholstery of each of the cockpit seats.

The trolling motor is a Maxxum 76 lb thrust that is only about 3 years old.
So overall I am wondering if everyone thinks if it is worth the money or not.
Nada guides blue book this boat @ $13,800-$15800.

So I know with the work that this boat needs it is under the blue book pricing. But I am wondering if the boat is worth pursusing. When I drove the boat today I was very impressed on how it handled on the water.

overall I am wondering with the 400 hours on the motor and the cosmetic issues of this boat, if the boat is worth the money.

Please let me know what you think or ask any other questions I may have forgotten to addl.

Thanks,

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Opinion? 2000 Ranger 518vx

Post by USA-RET » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:53 am

From what you've described the boat is what it is.

In my opinion a older motor with 400 hours is probably more trustworthy than a similar one with 30 hours. Outboards are made to be run, and more problems stem from non-use that use. Hopefully the seller can show you yearly maintenance records.

Realize, that if the motor "shoots craps", you could be into a repair bill of an easy $5K or more or even the price of a new motor.

Is this boat worth putting a new $15K motor on?

These are the exact same situations that keep me awake at night :lol:

Keep in mind that this is a buyers market. Do some comparison shopping and see what else is available and the pricing. Do an "apples to apples"..but don't ignore other top tier manufacturers boat/motor combos.

Ask yourself if you are really in the market for a boat, or just not wanting a deal this to pass you by.

If you are truly wanting a bass boat, then approach this purchase with "Is this boat something I'm going to be happy owning or am I compromising?".

I've never been completely happy when I've compromised.

Good luck :D

Side note: make sure your vehicle is capable of towing that rig. I learned this the hard way :lol:
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

Hyintegrity
Angler
Angler

Post by Hyintegrity » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:28 am

The maintenance that has been done to this motor is pretty immaculate. I have no doubt that the motor has any issues. The lower unit is in great shape for a 2000. Minor paint loss from use and skag is in very good shape, not bent and the paint has started to wear off.

I understand that today is a buyers market. Although boats haven't seem to go down much in value. According to Nada this boat should go for $13800 (low retail) and $15,800 (Average retail)

Overall, all the benefits are the performance, brand name, hull quality, trolling motor, fishing platform (storage), carpet shape

Cons, needs new electronics... dash and instrument panels need to be refurbished (i.e paint or vinyls or buy new) all 3 cockpit seats need upholstery or replacement. Also cleaning, shining, waxing everywhere else....

So my dilemma isn't really because of compromise, because the set up of this boat is more than I was looking for. My compromise for this boat is that it's not astetically appealing as i would like just needs a little elbow grease.

I do have a Ford f150 that will be extremely happy to tow the rig. haha

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:46 am

I'd still check around for some of those garage kept beauties that guys are trying to sell. :D
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:47 am

USA-RET wrote:I'd still check around for some of those garage kept beauties that guys are trying to sell. :D
I agree. Their are many good deals out there if you are patient and especially willing to drive. It's just hard to believe if it's been neglected in one area it hasn't been in another. The motor scares me honestly. Fichts had a reeeeeeaaaaal rough beginning and dropped like flies. I know the optimax did too but they still make those. I could be wrong but when that motor blows finding parts may be difficult. If I was going to buy an older boat I'd make sure it had a merc efi on it.

Hyintegrity
Angler
Angler

Post by Hyintegrity » Fri May 06, 2011 5:41 am

Thanks for the help.

I passed on that boat and have been looking for another one. Haven't found one yet. If anyone knows of anything let me know.

Again thanks for the opinions.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Fri May 06, 2011 7:12 am

Where are you located? The Texas fishing forum usually has some seemingly decent deals.