Phase Charger

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Phase Charger

Post by kbookert » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:16 am

Does anyone use a Phase Charger? I see BPS has one for $50.

How well do they work? Are they worth it? Have you seen anyone else selling besides BPS? Here is their description.......

"Housed in an easily installed 2"x3"x1-1/2" package, this XPS 12V Phase Charger senses when the alternator output indicates that the crank battery is charged, then an internal 40-amp relay connects the troll and crank batteries in parallel so that the troll battery is charged while the motor is running. When the motor is turned off, and the alternator output is no longer present, the parallel circuit is opened and the troll and crank batteries are isolated for use. All operations are automatic after installation."
If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Phase Charger

Post by kbookert » Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:48 am

Anyone?

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:41 am

No responses, that strange. This is something that is on my Christmas list. I will let you all know if I get it. If anyone has one, please advise.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:25 am

Bringing this up one more time to see if anyone has one. I would seriously like to know if it is worth it.

tacklesithlord

Post by tacklesithlord » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:47 am

Kbookert,

I don't have one of these, but judging from the description, I'm not sure it's something that is all that necessary unless you're out on the water for days on end. Unlike being in a car where you're driving somewhere for 2 or 3 hours, the amount of time you're actually running the big motor on a bass boat is pretty small so the amount of time this phase charger would be juicing your trolling motor batteries seems to be insignificant. You'd be better served getting a bank charger and simply plugging your boat in overnight. That'd be a much more productive use of your $50 in my opinion. I do recall, seeing something long ago that allowed you to hook up your car's alternator to your boat and charge your batteries that way. That device would be infinitely more useful than this. But this is all just my opinion.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:32 pm

I do have on board chargers for all four of my batteries (2 trolling, 2 cranking). The advantage is like on a very windy day, when you are using a lot of trolling power. An extra little bit of charge could make all the difference.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:11 am

Update on this item. My friend received one for Christmas. It can not be used to charge a 24 volt trolling motor system. 12 Volt only.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Wed May 10, 2006 11:33 am

Found another one. This one is at Cabelas. Anyone have experience with it?

Voltage Sensitive Trolling Bank Voltage Sensitive Charging Module - 24-Volt

"The new Trolling Bank Voltage Sensitive Charging Modules give you the ability to charge your 24-volt trolling motor battery bank from your 12-volt engine charging system. Once the engine has started the unit allows the engine starting battery to be charged first. Once the engine starting battery has reached 13.7 volts the unit will engage and charge battery A in the trolling bank for one minute. In the 24-volt system, it will then disengage and charge battery B for one minute. It will then transfer back to battery A. The unit will continue to repeat this process while the engine is running. When the engine is stopped and the residual voltage drops below 12.7 volts the unit will disengage leaving the trolling bank isolated from the starting bank. The Trolling Bank Voltage Sensitive Charging Module will increase battery life and allow you to fish longer. Every time you use your outboard, you will be charging your batteries. 10-gauge wire recommended."

dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dampeoples » Wed May 10, 2006 11:41 am

Like that other guy said, if it's only charging the battery for one minute, and only when you are running, I wouldn't think it was worth it, only charging it for a minute, you would get that much out of a surface charge.

A better option would be to find a way to split the alternator output from your motor so that all the batteries are charging when the motor is running as opposed to only one.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Fri May 12, 2006 7:25 am

Eventuall this will be the one I end up with by the looks of it. Charges while you tow and while you run on the lake.

Retrotecs New Stay N Charge "All Charge"

"Retrotec Inc, is proud to announce the release of the newest and the most revolutionary
Product to hit the boating industry in years. After four years of research and development
We have designed a charging system that will not just change how you charge your batteries, but will take you less time charging batteries and will keep you on the water longer, which will let you spend more time fishing.
The all new STAYNCHARGE ALL CHARGE will allow you keep the batteries charged while you are towing the boat down the road as well as topping the batteries off every time you run on the lake from one fishing spot to the next. "

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:29 am

Well I finally had to do something. My charger lights are flashing on one side. I switch contacts just to make sure it wasnt the battery. So it's time to replace it. I ordered the Retrotecs New Stay N Charge "All Charge" Cabelas has the system on sale for $149. This includes the charge system while towing plus the AC and charging while running on the lake. Normally $200 +.

jthmpsn112
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jthmpsn112 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:38 am

Kbookert, please keep us informed on how successful (or unsuccessful) this charger works.

Here in north Texas, we may not have much water in the lakes, but we sure have sunlight. I’ve been thinking about the possibility of using some solar collecting material to recharge trolling batteries while on the water. I’m definitely not an engineer, so maybe the engineer types can tell me why this is not feasible- probably would not be fast enough to recharge a bank of batteries significantly.

Anyhow any input is appreciated.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:56 am

The solar chargers do not generate enough power to charge like you want to. If it was sitting for a time the solars will work for you. They are best for keeping a charge on the battery after a standard charge is complete.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:13 pm

Here is the deal. The one I got from Cabelas wasnt the Stay-N-Charge I wanted. So I sent it back and ordered right from RETROTEC. It installed easily and I have been using it for awhile now. It is great, just a short run down the lake and I can tell the difference when I hit the trolling motor. Today I added the Stay-N-Charge that charges while you tow. It too was easy to install. So now I can charge tolling motor batteries while I tow to and from the lake and while I am on the lake. Nice little system.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:29 am

Had a problem with my charging box. Battery two stopped charging. I called Jim at Stay-N-Charge.com and even though I bought this last October, he is sending me a new unit in the morning. All he asked is that I send the old unit back to him.

EXCELLENT customer service!!!!!